I maybe wrong in understanding the documentation, but assuming I run the following with a very recent "emacs -q" : (setq ispell-process (apply 'start-process "ispell" nil "/usr/bin/hunspell" "-a" '("-d" "en_US" "-i" "UTF-8"))) (accept-process-output ispell-process 3) The accept-process-output function should return a non-nil value, because hunspell has output its banner (confirmed by associating a buffer to the process). However I can't get it to report anything but nil, and this both under Gnu/Linux and W32. It doesn't work either if I set up a simple process filter. Can someone enlighten me ? Best regards, -- Fabrice