2017-11-20 18:31 GMT+01:00 Eli Zaretskii : > > From: Fabrice Popineau > > Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 16:13:48 +0100 > > Cc: Msys2 , > > Emacs developers > > > > gnutls also need to have an accessible ca-bundle for certificates. > > Not on MS-Windows, it doesn't: it uses the system certificate store > instead. > Oh ... good to know. I recall that I had to make gnutls point to the file in the past. Maybe I overlooked something. (I don't use gnutls much) > But in general, your point is valid: various optional libraries need > support > files to work properly. > Given the numerous dependencies, and as long as msys2/mingw64 is concerned, it is so much easier to install msys2 and then request emacs from pacman than to package a standalone emacs. Lots of elisp packages may require other mingw64 packages : a spell checker, git, etc. It is easy to install them with pacman. The user will have a much harder time with a standalone emacs. If you want a full emacs experience, you need a full unix-like environment. Fabrice