2016-02-04 19:47 GMT+01:00 Eli Zaretskii : > > From: Fabrice Popineau > > Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 10:49:42 +0100 > > Cc: Eli Zaretskii , 22534@debbugs.gnu.org > > > > - notifications returned are not the same whether you run the tests in > batch mode or interactive mode. > > In interactive mode, there is a deleted notification which is sent when > your remove the directory being > > watched. > > This event is not seen when running in batch mode (make check). I wonder > what could make a difference. > > Support for file notifications in batch mode is fragile: w32notify > normally works by sending a message to the main thread whenever it has > a notification to report. But in batch mode, the main thread doesn't > read Windows messages, so whether an event gets reported depends on > whether 'pselect' is called, which depends on what API is called to > wait for notifications and read them. > > Ok. Maybe that's the reason, but in this case, the expected events have to be adjusted because 'make check' runs in batch mode. > > - in the test file-notify-test06-many-events to check that events > > are not dropped : I have to lower the 1000 number. The test fails > > as soon as I go higher than around 260. Is there some limit here ? > > Is this in interactive or a batch-mode run? > > In interactive mode. The limit is somewhere between 260 and 280. > > Once the limit is reached, only the first notification is returned. > > What do you mean by "the first notification"? AFAIU, the 1000 events > are generated as 500 pairs of renames, so what is "the first" here, > after 260 were already generated? > > The notification for the first pair in the list, the one numbered 999 is the only one appearing in file-notify--test-events. > > Overall, I don't think anymore that the patch by Michael has broken w32 > file notifications > > but rather that the new tests have highlighted some potential problems > with it. > > I've just found a serious problem, see bug#22557. I'm not sure it is > related to what you see here, but IMO until that bug is resolved, > there's no sense in trying to analyze what happens with notifications > on MS-Windows. > Ok, I have seen that. Maybe I'll try to comment out the part of the patch you have pointed out in this bug report and see how it changes the behavior. Fabrice