On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 4:12 PM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > Thanks, but all this still doesn't answer my questions, > unfortunately. You-all are describing something that I cannot wrap my > head around, because that basic question was not answered yet. > > Would someone please take me through the problem step by step? > There is a MELPA package depending on `pcase'. It contains a `map' pattern: (pcase-let* ((`(,_name . ,(map filename outline-path id front-context-string indirectp)) ...) The support for `map' pattern is not built into `pcase.el'. Instead, it is enabled through `pcase--get-macroexpander', which is implemented as follows: (defun pcase--get-macroexpander (s) "Return the macroexpander for pcase pattern head S, or nil." (get s 'pcase-macroexpander)) It returns `pcase-macroexpander' property of the symbol (i.e. `map' in this case). The property should be available at compile time. If not, the library will fail to byte-compile. To set the property of an additional pattern, `rx', `map', `seq', etc. all use `pcase-defmacro'. I think autoloading the `pcase-defmacro' form in `map.el' can prevent the error as well as possible future errors in other libraries. This is already done in `rx.el'.