all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Add-on USB custom keypads
@ 2016-06-16 15:28 Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2016-06-16 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Can anyone recommend an add-on, customizable and reliable keypad suitable
for Emacs running on Linux?

Thanks.

Best regards,

-Tom

* Re: Add-on USB custom keypads
@ 2016-06-16 19:04 ` Emanuel Berg
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-06-16 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> writes:

> Can anyone recommend an add-on, customizable
> and reliable keypad suitable for Emacs
> running on Linux?

It shouldn't be related to either OS or
software. Anyone USB should be plug and play on
Linux.

As for customizable as long as keydowns send
signals to Emacs as they should if not
mechanically defect they are customizable like
the ordinary keyboard or any other
input device.

I have a keypad on my keyboard but I never use
it. I think the numbers above the ordinary keys
are faster. Perhaps if you'd do some telephone
thing, or otherwise would input numbers
repeatedly (e.g., social security numbers at
a bank), perhaps a keypad would be cool...

                   - so far: 48 Blogomatic articles -

* Re: Add-on USB custom keypads
@ 2016-06-16 19:05 ` Aaron Fischer
       [not found] ` <mailman.1639.1466137040.1216.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Aaron Fischer @ 2016-06-16 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tom Browder writes:
> Can anyone recommend an add-on, customizable and reliable keypad suitable
> for Emacs running on Linux?

Glad you ask, I've prepared something, just for you :)
https://aaron-fischer.net/pzx (german)

Currently, I am working on a more sophisticated version with more keys, more
options and better software. See here for more details:
https://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/mx-keypad-t13679.html

  Aaron

* Re: Add-on USB custom keypads
@ 2016-06-16 20:00 ` Tim Johnson
       [not found] ` <mailman.1639.1466137040.1216.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim Johnson @ 2016-06-16 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> [160616 08:43]:
> Can anyone recommend an add-on, customizable and reliable keypad suitable
> for Emacs running on Linux?
  I've been using three different standalone numeric keypads for
  years. For me, customization has been a matter of

  1)Elisp code
  2)Operating system
  3)Whether console or gui mode.
  4)If console, which emulator.

  I do note that there are all kinds of programmable keypads
  available from Amazon, but many are pretty spendy.

  There's an awful lot of things that can be done with just a
  ten-key pad. I even set up emacs so that I can switch my keypad
  from "navigation-only" mode to "special purpose" mode.

  In gui mode in linux, my emacs knows the difference between
  Control-Home and Control-Keypad-Home. (as an example)

  HTH
--
Tim

* Re: Add-on USB custom keypads
@ 2016-06-16 21:21   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-06-16 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:

>> Can anyone recommend an add-on, customizable
>> and reliable keypad suitable for Emacs
>> running on Linux?
>
> I've been using three different standalone
> numeric keypads for years. For me,
> customization has been a matter of
>
> 1)Elisp code 2)Operating system 3)Whether
> console or gui mode. 4)If console,
> which emulator.

Well, only the odd keys require any such extra
efforts. Normal keys, just plug and play and
associate Elisp code. And there should be
plenty of normal keys around, especially if you
purchase additional hardware to get even more.

This is the same situation for the Joe Hacker
keyboard by the way, and nothing in particular
to additional USB input devices.

@ 2016-06-16 22:05   ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2016-06-16 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Thursday, June 16, 2016, Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> wrote:

> * Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com <javascript:;>> [160616 08:43]:
> > Can anyone recommend an add-on, customizable and reliable keypad suitable
> > for Emacs running on Linux?
>   I've been using three different standalone numeric keypads for
>   years. For me, customization has been a matter of
>
>   1)Elisp code
>   2)Operating system
>   3)Whether console or gui mode.
>   4)If console, which emulator.

Thanks, Tim.

The reason I want an add-on keypad is because heavy use of Perl 6 requires
unicode utf8 and I want easy access to oft-used symbols.  Can anyone
recommend a specific add-on keypad they have actually used and are happy
with?

Thanks.

Best regards,

-Tom

* Re: Add-on USB custom keypads
@ 2016-06-16 22:34     ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2016-06-16 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> [160616 13:33]:
> Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:
>
> >> Can anyone recommend an add-on, customizable
> >> and reliable keypad suitable for Emacs
> >> running on Linux?
> >
> > I've been using three different standalone
> > numeric keypads for years. For me,
> > customization has been a matter of
> >
> > 1)Elisp code 2)Operating system 3)Whether
> > console or gui mode. 4)If console,
> > which emulator.
>
> Well, only the odd keys require any such extra
> efforts. Normal keys, just plug and play and
> associate Elisp code. And there should be
> plenty of normal keys around, especially if you
> purchase additional hardware to get even more.
>
> This is the same situation for the Joe Hacker
> keyboard by the way, and nothing in particular
> to additional USB input devices.
  I customize the heck out of my keypad. As I stated, I can switch
  back to normal operation with a keystroke.

  I use mine on left of a tenkeyless keyboard, trackball on the
  right. Couldn't live without it... :)
--
Tim

* Re: Add-on USB custom keypads
@ 2016-06-16 22:39     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-06-16 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> writes:

> The reason I want an add-on keypad is because
> heavy use of Perl 6 requires unicode utf8 and
> I want easy access to oft-used symbols.

There is already

    C-x 8 RET commercial at RET

or, if you need even easier access you can
assign shortcuts to the most-often
used symbols:

    (global-set-key "\C-ca" (lambda () (interactive) (insert "@")))

There are other ways to do that, including on
the level below Emacs where the keyboard is
rewired in different ways depending on the
technology where Emacs is executed...

Because, it is not easier to have an add-on
keypad! That way you have to move you hands
from typing position, and then back, and you
eyes have to drop from the text you are typing,
and then reset. Not good...

@ 2016-06-16 22:44       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-06-16 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:

> I customize the heck out of my keypad.
> As I stated, I can switch back to normal
> operation with a keystroke.

... OK - what is the other operation?

> I use mine on left of a tenkeyless keyboard,
> trackball on the right. Couldn't live without
> it... :)

I see - severe addiction! Try placing
mousetraps all around it, and if that doesn't
work, dig a small moat where you keep cobras.

@ 2016-06-17  0:40         ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2016-06-17  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> [160616 14:46]:
> Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:
>
> > I customize the heck out of my keypad.
> > As I stated, I can switch back to normal
> > operation with a keystroke.
>
> ... OK - what is the other operation?

  Operations.
  Whatever I choose.

  In this case, shortcuts for functions that I have also bound with
  a C-c <alpha> prefix.

  I don't like to keep my left on the home row all of the time.

> > I use mine on left of a tenkeyless keyboard,
> > trackball on the right. Couldn't live without
> > it... :)
>
> I see - severe addiction! Try placing
> mousetraps all around it, and if that doesn't
> work, dig a small moat where you keep cobras.

  I'm addicted to elisp. To late to jump on the temperance wagon
  now.
--
Tim

* Re: Add-on USB custom keypads
@ 2016-06-17  1:20           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-06-17  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:

>> I see - severe addiction! Try placing
>> mousetraps all around it, and if that
>> doesn't work, dig a small moat where you
>> keep cobras.
>>
> I'm addicted to elisp. To late to jump on the
> temperance wagon now.

However that I consider a virtue. I'm also
addicted to Lisp and in particular Elisp
because of the instant feedback you get with
Emacs. If it weren't for Elisp Emacs wouldn't
be any fun. The journey is the goal...

@ 2016-06-17  2:03             ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2016-06-17  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> [160616 17:30]:
> Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:
>
> >> I see - severe addiction! Try placing
> >> mousetraps all around it, and if that
> >> doesn't work, dig a small moat where you
> >> keep cobras.
> >>
> > I'm addicted to elisp. To late to jump on the
> > temperance wagon now.
>
> However that I consider a virtue. I'm also
> addicted to Lisp and in particular Elisp
> because of the instant feedback you get with
> Emacs. If it weren't for Elisp Emacs wouldn't
> be any fun. The journey is the goal...

  This may seem to be a weird connection, but I'm going to try to
  make it anyway:

  I grew up on a homestead. We just made things work.

	I find the whole concept of lisp (as in elisp, racket, clojure)
	associates with the minimalist (homestead) approach of right and
	left parens to be a study in simplistic beauty.

  And as for emacs, the help system is awesome, maybe the best
  thing. I also use python. Docstrings rock!
--
Tim

* docstrings (was: Re: Add-on USB custom keypads)
@ 2016-06-17  6:15               ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-06-17  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:

> I grew up on a homestead. We just made
> things work.

Indeed. I have the gene as well. Make it work,
by out working the opposition...

> I find the whole concept of lisp (as in
> elisp, racket, clojure) associates with the
> minimalist (homestead) approach of right and
> left parens to be a study in
> simplistic beauty.

I prefer the Lisp syntax and extra power
compared to other languages - e.g., code as
data, data as code, almost complete freedom, no
explicit types, and many other examples - from
a practical point tho the thing I like the most
is the integration with Emacs (the quick fix)
so you immediately can see the result of your
actions. It is the most pleasant way of
programming. I have sort of the same in the
shell (zsh) but not exactly as the
infrastructure is much less developed, you have
to reload the code manually (even tho it takes
zero time, still annoying compared to the eval
of a single defun). Even so, compared to LaTeX
and C and such giants with feet of clay, the
shell seems like a bunch of thin clouds...

> And as for emacs, the help system is awesome,
> maybe the best thing. I also use python.
> Docstrings rock!

Indeed. Good example of infrastructure. I like
focusing on the form, making it perfect, and
then wait for the data to "catch up"...

It always feels like a loss of prestige when
you have to Google something like some mere
plebeian. To have a uniform interface is great.

Only sometimes the docstrings themselves are
incomplete - for example, not that seldom, the
function comes with arguments that aren't
mentioned in the docstring.

Here is an example of a bad docstring in
several ways:

(transpose-sexps ARG)

    Like M-t but applies to sexps.
    Does not work on a sexp that point is in the middle of
    if it is a list or string.

@ 2016-06-17  7:15   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-06-17  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

,----
| Manche Funktionen/Shortcuts verwende ich allerdings so selten, dass ich
| sie mir trotzdem nicht merken kann und sie auf PostIts vor meinem PC
| kleben habe. Für die PostIts habe ich mir eine Alternative gebaut.
`----

You seem to be a tinkerer, so I'm sure this is the right way for you,
but the problem you're describing can be solved without hardware
tinkering, by packages such as which-key and hydra.

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)