all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Function menu missing from top window bar!!
@ 2016-07-15 13:07 Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2016-07-15 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm coming from XEmacs after 20 years.  I miss two things I hope I can
get back somehow:

1.  A top bar menu button that shows the function declarations for
various languages.  Click on a desired function and point goes there.

2.  A submenu item that sorts selected text in a buffer.

Are they available in Emacs?

Thanks so much.

Best regards,

-Tom

* Re: Function menu missing from top window bar!!
@ 2016-07-15 13:29 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2016-07-15 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* RE: Function menu missing from top window bar!!
@ 2016-07-15 13:44 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-07-15 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Browder, help-gnu-emacs

> 1.  A top bar menu button that shows the function declarations for
> various languages.  Click on a desired function and point goes there.

Imenu - `imenu-add-menubar-index'.

See these nodes in the Emacs and Elisp manuals:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Imenu.html

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Imenu.html

> 2.  A submenu item that sorts selected text in a buffer.

Not clear what you mean.  Sort selected text in what way?
What kind of selection?

There are several commands and other functions for sorting the
text in the region.  See these sections of the Emacs and Elisp
manual:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Sorting.html

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Sorting.html

If you know the name or some other words that can help you find
the info you want then visit the manuals and use `i' to find
what you need.  In this case, without knowing "imenu" you might
not have found the first easily.  But `i sort TAB' finds the
second easily.

* Re: Function menu missing from top window bar!!
@ 2016-07-15 13:56 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-07-15 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> 1.  A top bar menu button that shows the function declarations for
> various languages.  Click on a desired function and point goes there.

You mean XEmacs's func-menu (IIRC)?  It's called "imenu" in Emacs.
Try M-x imenu RET or M-x imenu-add-menubar-index RET

> 2.  A submenu item that sorts selected text in a buffer.

M-x sort-lines ?  I don't think there's a menu entry for it, so you'd
have to add that entry manually from your .emacs.

* Re: Function menu missing from top window bar!!
@ 2016-07-18 11:37   ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2016-07-18 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Tomas, Drew, and Stefan!  Very helpful.

@ 2016-12-31  0:07   ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2016-12-31  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 8:56 AM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > 1.  A top bar menu button that shows the function declarations for
> > various languages.  Click on a desired function and point goes there.
>
> You mean XEmacs's func-menu (IIRC)?  It's called "imenu" in Emacs.
> Try M-x imenu RET or M-x imenu-add-menubar-index RET

Okay, I have that working.  Now I just need to sort the entries.  Here
is the fragment of code that does the menu entry:

;;=======================================
(defvar perl6-imenu-generic-expression
  `(
    ;; the names are in reverse desired order since they are evaluated
here last first
    ("Classes" ,perl6-classes-regex 1)
    ("Variables" ,perl6-vars-regex 1)
    ("Subs/Methods" ,perl6-subs-regex 1)
    )
      "Define interesting points in the Perl 6 buffer for `imenu'.

This is used to set `imenu-generic-expression' when Perl 6 mode is
entered.  Subsequent changes to `perl6-imenu-generic-expression' will
not affect existing Perl 6 buffers because imenu-generic-expression is
a local variable.")
;;============================================

Now, how do I get each submenu sorted by name?

I see reference to a sort option, but not clear on how to add it to what I have.

Thanks.

@ 2017-01-03 15:25     ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2017-01-03 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
> ;;============================================
>
> Now, how do I get each submenu sorted by name?
>
> I see reference to a sort option, but not clear on how to add it to what I have.

Ping.

@ 2017-01-03 17:01       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-01-03 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Browder; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> Now, how do I get each submenu sorted by name?
>> I see reference to a sort option, but not clear on how to add it to
>> what I have.

> Ping.

I can't remember how it's supposed to work, but when you do M-x imenu
the *Completions* should be sorted by virtue of the normal sorting
performed by the completion UI.  If you like your GUI menu to be sorted
when selecting with the mouse, there's imenu-sort-function which you can
set via M-x customize-variable.  It's supposed to be a user-preference
rather than being imposed by the author of the major mode.

* RE: Function menu missing from top window bar!!
@ 2017-01-03 17:12         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2017-01-03 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, Tom Browder; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I can't remember how it's supposed to work, but when you do M-x imenu
> the *Completions* should be sorted by virtue of the normal sorting
> performed by the completion UI.  If you like your GUI menu to be sorted
> when selecting with the mouse, there's imenu-sort-function which you can
> set via M-x customize-variable.  It's supposed to be a user-preference
> rather than being imposed by the author of the major mode.

Set the option value to `imenu--sort-by-name'.  The option doc
tells you:

  "Set it to `imenu--sort-by-name' if you want alphabetic sorting."

* Re: Function menu missing from top window bar!!
@ 2017-01-03 18:51           ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2017-01-03 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Stefan Monnier

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>> I can't remember how it's supposed to work, but when you do M-x imenu
>> the *Completions* should be sorted by virtue of the normal sorting
>> performed by the completion UI.  If you like your GUI menu to be sorted
>> when selecting with the mouse, there's imenu-sort-function which you can
>> set via M-x customize-variable.  It's supposed to be a user-preference
>> rather than being imposed by the author of the major mode.
>
> Set the option value to `imenu--sort-by-name'.  The option doc
> tells you:
>
>   "Set it to `imenu--sort-by-name' if you want alphabetic sorting."

Yes, Drew, I read that, but I need to know EXACTLY how to do that?
Where does the option value go?  That's what's confusing about the
emacs manual: fragments that assume you know all about everything
lisp!  I need a recipe here!

From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-01-03 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Browder; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> emacs manual: fragments that assume you know all about everything
> lisp!  I need a recipe here!

That's why I gave you the recipe M-x customize-variable ;-)

* Re: Function menu missing from top window bar!!
@ 2017-01-03 19:10               ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2017-01-03 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> emacs manual: fragments that assume you know all about everything
>> lisp!  I need a recipe here!
>
> That's why I gave you the recipe M-x customize-variable ;-)

Sorry, Stefan--that works.  I didn't read all your help thoroughly
since I wanted to put in my mode file with the indent description.

Your method works fine!

Best regards,

-Tom