all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to get in progress Key Sequence from Elisp
@ 2012-12-02 20:09 Barry OReilly
From: Barry OReilly @ 2012-12-02 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I'm in the middle of inputting a Key Sequence, how may I get a data
structure with the Key Sequence entered thus far from Elisp?

More details: I create Key Translations that are contingent on the Evil
(Vim emulation) state.  If in insert state, it's the idenity translation:

  ;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-
  (defun make-conditional-key-translation (key-from key-to translate-keys-p)
    "Make a Key Translation such that if the translate-keys-p function
returns true,
  key-from translates to key-to, else key-from translates to itself.
translate-keys-p
  takes no args. "
    (define-key key-translation-map key-from
                (lambda (prompt)
                        (if (funcall translate-keys-p) key-to key-from))))
  (defun my-translate-keys-p ()
    "Returns whether conditional key translations should be active.  See
make-conditional-key-translation function. "
    (or (evil-motion-state-p) (evil-normal-state-p) (evil-visual-state-p)))
  (make-conditional-key-translation (kbd "g") (kbd "C-x")
'my-translate-keys-p)

This works well, but one inconvenience is that for bindings like this:

  (define-key evil-motion-state-map "sg" 'my-func)

"sg" gets translated into "s C-x".  If I have my-translate-keys-p return
nil if not starting a Key Sequence, I will get the behavior I seek.  I can
do this if I can get the Key Sequence as the user has been entered at that
time.

* RE: How to get in progress Key Sequence from Elisp
@ 2012-12-02 21:15 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-12-02 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Barry OReilly', 'help-gnu-emacs'

> When I'm in the middle of inputting a Key Sequence, how may
> I get a data structure with the Key Sequence entered thus
> far from Elisp?
> I can do this if I can get the Key Sequence as the user has
> been entered at that time.

If I understand what you are asking, see `this-command-keys'.  E.g.:

(defun foo ()
  "..."
  (let* ((this-key  (this-command-keys))
         (prefix    (substring
                     this-key
                     0 (1- (length this-key)))))
    ;; (message "PREFIX: %S, DESCRIPTION: %S"
    ;;          prefix (key-description prefix))
    prefix))

This is what I use in the code for Icicles key completion.

* Re: How to get in progress Key Sequence from Elisp
@ 2012-12-03 14:37   ` Barry OReilly
From: Barry OReilly @ 2012-12-03 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs