all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help getting past Apple software checker?
@ 2020-08-28 20:28 Maya Gilchrist
From: Maya Gilchrist @ 2020-08-28 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I am having trouble opening Emacs version 27.1-1, getting the error message
"Emacs can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious
software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more
information." I am on MacOS Catalina version 10.15.5. I downloaded from
https://emacsformacosx.com/.

Any insight is appreciated. Thank you!

* Re: Help getting past Apple software checker?
@ 2020-08-28 20:53 ` Yuan Fu
From: Yuan Fu @ 2020-08-28 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maya Gilchrist; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> On Aug 28, 2020, at 4:28 PM, Maya Gilchrist <mayagilchrist@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am having trouble opening Emacs version 27.1-1, getting the error message
> "Emacs can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious
> software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more
> information." I am on MacOS Catalina version 10.15.5. I downloaded from
> https://emacsformacosx.com/.
>
> Any insight is appreciated. Thank you!

Have you tried control-clicking on Emacs.app and click Open?

Yuan

* Re: Help getting past Apple software checker?
@ 2020-08-28 20:57   ` Maya Gilchrist
From: Maya Gilchrist @ 2020-08-28 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuan Fu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

That worked! Thank you so much.

@ 2020-08-29 15:22     ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2020-08-29 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

If you are on the latest macOS, you may have trouble opening files in ~/Documents, ~/Desktop, and a few other places.

https://github.com/caldwell/build-emacs/issues/84 <https://github.com/caldwell/build-emacs/issues/84> describes the symptoms and a few work arounds.  I’m not sure what the current state of the recent builds are.