all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@gmail.com>
To: "help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Subject: Bookmarks: separate set of bookmarks in directory
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 20:45:19 -0700	[thread overview]

I have an extensive dropbox folder with subdirectories for projects; I
would like to share the bookmarks between different computers.  These
computers have distinct files outside this dropbox folder to which I need
to have bookmarks.  So far, I have not found a way to do all the necessary
parts.

I tried to find something like this in the extensive documentation for
bookmarks+.  I think that package is overkill for my usage.

   1. I need to load both sets of bookmarks, local and global, so to speak.
   2. The bookmarks to files in the dropbox folder do not need to be saved
   and loaded separately.
   3. Bookmarks that are local to each machine must be loaded, but must be
   saved separately in a local bookmarks file like
   ~/.emacs.d/localbookmarks.txt .

The deeper I dig, the more complicated it looks.  I would appreciate any
ideas.  I thought of org-mode, and I like and use it, but it would be much
simpler to use the canonical bookmark facility of Emacs.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Alan Davis

--
[I do not] carry such information in my mind since it is readily
available in books. …The value of a college education is not the

"Sweet instruments hung up in cases. . . keep their sounds to themselves."

         ---Shakespeare, _Timon of Athens_