all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Want to capture a 00_README.org file to current directory
@ 2019-09-24  3:45 Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2019-09-24  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hello:

I like ChangeLog a lot, so I sometimes use it.  However, my org mode
capture set up duplicates that effort for many routine kinds of work with
emacs.

It would seem like a no-brainer, but maybe not.  I wonder whether a
ChangeLog functionality can be either replaced or augmented using
org-mode.

I have a  plethora of little projects scattered all over my home directory
tree.  I might be working on a graph of today's tides, so I might make a
new folder, and work away.  Then, at some point, I need to save some notes
that are convenient to find without digging through a lot of cruft.  (I
have a lot of cruft).

Ideally, my capture template would search for some standard file in the
current folder, such as 00_README.org, then set up in a date-time tree to
edit a note, then save the file, whether new or not, in the current
directory.

It seems ChangeLog may sometimes save to a directory a the head of a tree,
I'm not sure.  This might be an interesting option , if I wanted to graph
tides for a number of sites, within an overall directory tree.

I wonder if something like this has been implemented.  I think the main
trick might be to use the current directory.  Maybe this is trivial,
probably so, and for this I apologize.

Alan Davis

--
[Fill in the blanks]

The use of corrupt manipulations and blatant rhetorical ploys ...---
outright lying, flagwaving, personal attacks, setting up phony
alternatives, misdirection, jargon-mongering, evading key issues, feigning
disinterested objectivity, willful misunderstanding of other points of
view---suggests that ... lacks both credibility and evidence.

             ---- Edward Tufte (in context of making presentations)

* Re: Want to capture a 00_README.org file to current directory
@ 2019-09-24 17:50 ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2019-09-24 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

My apology: I meant to send this to the org-mode help list.

Alan Davis