all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* local database types for personal use
@ 2011-12-26  0:42 ishi soichi
From: ishi soichi @ 2011-12-26  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi.  I have a question about database which can be easily used in Emacs.
Since I have little experience in developing database, I need some advice
for it.

An entry of the database will be like,

word  : meaning
         : date it's encountered
         : where (file or URL) it's encountered
         : how often it has shown up so far
         : etc.

There are various ways to implement such LOCAL database with Emacs.
For example,

hash-table
assoc
plain text
csv
splite
and maybe others.

Which method would you suggest for developing a local database like this?

Not to mention that it has to be fast for searching and organizing.

soichi

* Re: local database types for personal use
@ 2011-12-26  1:37 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2011-12-26  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ishi soichi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

() ishi soichi <soichi777@gmail.com>
() Mon, 26 Dec 2011 09:42:08 +0900

   hash-table
   assoc
   plain text
   csv
   splite
   and maybe others.

   Which method would you suggest for developing a local database like this?

If there is just one table in this database, you might try EDB,
whose homepage is <http://www.gnuvola.org/software/edb/>.

* Re: local database types for personal use
@ 2011-12-26  1:47   ` Soichi Ishida
From: Soichi Ishida @ 2011-12-26  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I have totally forgotten EBD :)

What if I have more than one table?

soichi

@ 2011-12-26  1:57     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2011-12-26  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Soichi Ishida; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

() Soichi Ishida <soujiro0725@gmail.com>
() Mon, 26 Dec 2011 10:47:58 +0900

   I have totally forgotten EBD :)

   What if I have more than one table?

Then your forgetfulness is ideal.

* Re: local database types for personal use
@ 2011-12-26 19:08       ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2011-12-26 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Soichi Ishida, help-gnu-emacs, Thien-Thi Nguyen

Band format is a free-form format used in linguistics for lexical data.

The following is  from a google search.

http://billposer.org/Linguistics/Computation/LectureNotes/ParsingLexica.html

I have used my own version of this format for a lexicon.  If you wish, I
can spend more time explaining how ti did it.

Basically, each "field" is marked by a dot and one or more letters.  Two
dots mark the beginning of a record.

..hw  means "headword"  (use anything you want)
.d    could mean date
.ge  could mean "english gloss"
.gd  could mean "dutch gloss"
.p    could mean part of speech.

Two spaces preceed each .X

New categories can be made up on the fly.

Alan Davis

@ 2012-01-22  1:30       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2012-01-22  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Soichi Ishida

If you only want to maintain one multi-line field, and you don't have
too much data,
then Org-mode properties are a possibility.  For more than one
multi-line field, you will need to serialize.

Samuel

===
Bigotry against people with serious diseases is still bigotry.

* Re: local database types for personal use
@ 2012-01-22 15:51         ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2012-01-22 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Soichi Ishida, help-gnu-emacs, Thien-Thi Nguyen

Did you find a format amenable to your needs?

I had intended to send this short example of band format some months
ago.    Ban format is perfect for what you are doing.  You can write simple
utility routines to search or sort the database.

Two entries in  band format follow.  A record does not need to occupy on
line.  "..hw" always begins a new record:

..hw lun kaeja  .gs   .ge Jellyfish (secondary etc names describe the
specific type)  .ec Jellyfish  .cg cnidaria  .la Mokil  .src  .n Father of
a student   .dt [2010-08-27 Fri]

..hw lagong  .gs   .ge Big, green fly  .ec   .cg Insect  .la Cebuano  .src
FSD .n came up as an exception to the general name for fly.   .dt
[2010-06-11 Fri]

.. begins a record
..hw  headword tag
.gs  Scientific Name
.ge  English gloss
.ec  English common name
.cg  catagory
.la  language
..src  Source
.dt  date

I wrote some little macros / routines that converted a record into a
typeset dictionary in LaTeX.  A frontend, as it were.  Each tag is typeset
in a distinct font.  Robert Hsu who was at the University of Hawaii
linguistics department in the 90s, wrote a spitbol/snobol4 package for
manipulating data in band format, used in producing several dictionaries of
several pacific languages.   Others have developed band formats distinct
from this one.

Alan

@ 2012-01-25  6:44           ` ishi soichi
From: ishi soichi @ 2012-01-25  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)