all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs does not know state of my abbrevs
@ 2015-03-22 12:54 Guido Van Hoecke
       [not found] ` <mailman.2516.1427034345.31049.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2015-03-22 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs

Hi,

After I M-x (edit-abbrevs) followed by my desired changes, I do
M-x (abbrev-edit-save-buffer) which saves my abbrevs in my
/Users/guivho/emacs-guivho/abbref-devs.

If I then quit Emacs, it asks:
"Save abbrevs in /Users/guivho/emacs-guivho/abbref-devs (y or n)"

I have not defined nor changed any abbrevs since the previously
described (abbrev-edit-save-buffer), so why does it insist upon
bothering me with a question that is totaly irrelevant?

There must be some setting to control this behavior, but I fail to
discover it.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Guido

* Re: Emacs does not know state of my abbrevs
@ 2015-03-22 14:25 ` Guido Van Hoecke
       [not found] ` <mailman.2516.1427034345.31049.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2015-03-22 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs

On 22 March 2015 at 13:54, Guido Van Hoecke <guivho@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After I M-x (edit-abbrevs) followed by my desired changes, I do
> M-x (abbrev-edit-save-buffer) which saves my abbrevs in my
> /Users/guivho/emacs-guivho/abbref-devs.
>
> If I then quit Emacs, it asks:
> "Save abbrevs in /Users/guivho/emacs-guivho/abbref-devs (y or n)"
>
> I have not defined nor changed any abbrevs since the previously
> described (abbrev-edit-save-buffer), so why does it insist upon
> bothering me with a question that is totaly irrelevant?
>
> There must be some setting to control this behavior, but I fail to
> discover it.

Sorry to answer my own question, but for the record:

The file does change whenever an abbrev is used: the usage count gets
stepped up.

I changed (setq save-abbrevs t) into (set
​q​
save-abbrevs 'silently) and that fixed thi
​n​
gs as desired.

@ 2015-03-22 23:07   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-03-22 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Guido Van Hoecke <guivho@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry to answer my own question, but for the record:

Yes, that is a good thing to do. First, other people
don't have to answer it, at least if their's solution
coincide precisely with yours. Second, if this problem
gets G00gled and the user ends up at your post, [s]he
can find your answer as well. Third, (well, it goes on
an on) ...

> The file does change whenever an abbrev is used: the
> usage count gets stepped up.
>
> I changed (setq save-abbrevs t) into (set ​q​
> save-abbrevs 'silently) and that fixed thi ​n​ gs
> as desired.

Ha ha, far out!

    (setq save-abbrevs 'silently)

I have my abbrevs hard coded in an init file, then
I just likewise do

    (define-abbrev-table 'global-abbrev-table DEFINITIONS)

on startup. Perhaps there is a speed deficiency but
for a small number of abbrevs it hasn't slowed me down
at least. The advantage is that I can edit the abbrevs
swiftly as I am any file, and never bother with that
whole interactive interface which I don't know where
it ends up.

DEFINITIONS is just a list, e.g. for Usenet newsgroups:

       '(("ctt" "comp.text.tex")
         ("geg" "gnu.emacs.gnus")
         ("geh" "gnu.emacs.help")
         ("ges" "gnu.emacs.sources")