all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Why different behaviour of concat on OSX and on Lubuntu
@ 2013-05-28 18:27 Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2013-05-28 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi,

My main machine is an iMAC (querty keyboard) running GNU Emacs 24.3.1
(x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1187.37)

I have to use temporarily an old notbook (belgian azerty keyboard)
running Lubuntu GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.6.4) of 2013-04-09 on komainu, modified by Debian.

I use a seldom used key to create some mappings.

Part of the code looks like this:
;; check whether running on OSX
(setq isOSX (equal (expand-file-name "~/") "/Users/guivho/"))

(if isOSX
    (setq leader "§")
  (setq leader "²"))

(global-set-key (kbd (concat "M-" leader)) 'overwrite-mode)

The last statement maps overwrite-mode to the M-§ sequence on my iMac.

On the Lubuntu machine, it does not map M-² to overwrite-mode, It barks:

(wrong-type-argument integer-or-marker-p (concat "M-" leader))
  read-kbd-macro((concat "M-" leader)

On the other hand, the following commands do work on both machines:

(define-prefix-command 'guivho-map nil "guivho-")

(define-key guivho-map    leader 'guivho-save-and-kill-buffer)
(define-key guivho-map    "-" 'hl-line-mode)
(define-key guivho-map    "=" 'vc-diff)
(define-key guivho-map    "0" 'delete-window)
(define-key guivho-map "z" (lambda() (interactive)
(switch-to-buffer-other-window "*scratch*" t)))
(global-set-key leader guivho-map)

I am puzzled why the concat does not work on lubuntu, and would like
to know how to code it to achieve the desired effect.

Thanks in advance,

Guivho.

* Re: Why different behaviour of concat on OSX and on Lubuntu
@ 2013-05-28 20:34 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-05-28 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guido Van Hoecke; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Guido Van Hoecke <guivho@gmail.com> writes:

> Part of the code looks like this:
> ;; check whether running on OSX
> (setq isOSX (equal (expand-file-name "~/") "/Users/guivho/"))
>
> (if isOSX
>     (setq leader "§")
>   (setq leader "²"))
>
> (global-set-key (kbd (concat "M-" leader)) 'overwrite-mode)
>
> The last statement maps overwrite-mode to the M-§ sequence on my iMac.
>
> On the Lubuntu machine, it does not map M-² to overwrite-mode, It barks:
>
> (wrong-type-argument integer-or-marker-p (concat "M-" leader))
>   read-kbd-macro((concat "M-" leader)
> [...]
> I am puzzled why the concat does not work on lubuntu, and would like
> to know how to code it to achieve the desired effect.

`kbd' was a (quite strange) macro in Emacs 23.  It changed to a function
in Emacs 24.  Your code works only in the last case.  Call it a bug in
Emacs 23.

As long as you need to use both Emacs versions in parallel, you should
be safe when you use `read-kbd-macro' instead of `kbd'.  It does the
same, but should work in both versions.

Regards,

Michael.

* Re: Why different behaviour of concat on OSX and on Lubuntu
@ 2013-05-29 20:42   ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2013-05-29 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

I couldn't get this to work. Being pressed for time I just changed to
(if isOSX
    (global-set-key (kbd "M-§") 'overwrite-mode)
  (global-set-key (kbd "M-²") 'overwrite-mode))

With kind regards,

Guido.