all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fixed width font for euro symbol
@ 2012-08-18 12:57 Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2012-08-18 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

All fixed width fonts available to Emacs[1] on my Mac (i.e. Andale Mono,
Courier, Courier New, Menlo and Monaco) support the euro symbol €
entered thru the C-X 8 e keystroke sequence.

Unfortunately, as soon as a € character is entered, its line height
increases. That is not really clean: the height of the line varies
depending upon the presence or absence of the € character.

Can this somehow be avoided?

Thanks in advance,

Guido

[1] GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2012-06-10 on bob.porkrind.org

--
Do you think that when they asked George Washington for ID that he
just whipped out a quarter?

http://vanhoecke.org ... and go2 places!

* Re: Fixed width font for euro symbol
       [not found] <mailman.7197.1345294671.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-08-18 13:53 ` Giorgio Valoti
From: Giorgio Valoti @ 2012-08-18 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2012-08-18 12:57:25 +0000, Guido Van Hoecke said:

> Hi,
>
> All fixed width fonts available to Emacs[1] on my Mac (i.e. Andale Mono,
> Courier, Courier New, Menlo and Monaco) support the euro symbol €
> entered thru the C-X 8 e keystroke sequence.
>
> Unfortunately, as soon as a € character is entered, its line height
> increases. That is not really clean: the height of the line varies
> depending upon the presence or absence of the € character.
>
> Can this somehow be avoided?

I added this in my init.el
(set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'unicode "Menlo")

--
Giorgio Valoti

* Re: Fixed width font for euro symbol
@ 2012-08-18 14:56 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-08-18 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guido Van Hoecke; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.08.2012 um 14:57 schrieb Guido Van Hoecke:

> Can this somehow be avoided?

Yes. I think you just need to use one font for all text. C-u C-X = on € and on one of its two neighbours should tell which fonts are used. If they are not the same you can set initial-frame-alist and default-frame-alist to use a specific font with €. ('(font . "Liberation_Mono") or 	'(font . "-apple-Menlo-medium-normal-normal-*-9-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1"))

--
Greetings

  Pete

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most people use Windows, is like saying that all other restaurants serve food that is inferior to McDonald's.

* Re: Fixed width font for euro symbol
@ 2012-08-18 15:49   ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2012-08-18 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giorgio Valoti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Giorgio,

On 18 August 2012 15:53, Giorgio Valoti <giorgio_v@me.com> wrote:
> On 2012-08-18 12:57:25 +0000, Guido Van Hoecke said:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> All fixed width fonts available to Emacs[1] on my Mac (i.e. Andale Mono,
>> Courier, Courier New, Menlo and Monaco) support the euro symbol €
>> entered thru the C-X 8 e keystroke sequence.
>>
>> Unfortunately, as soon as a € character is entered, its line height
>> increases. That is not really clean: the height of the line varies
>> depending upon the presence or absence of the € character.
>>
>> Can this somehow be avoided?
>

> I added this in my init.el
> (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'unicode "Menlo")

Fixed my problem, thanks!

With kind regards,

Guido

--
It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both
incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by

@ 2012-08-18 15:55   ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2012-08-18 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply.

On 18 August 2012 16:56, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 18.08.2012 um 14:57 schrieb Guido Van Hoecke:
>
>> Can this somehow be avoided?
>
> Yes. I think you just need to use one font for all text. C-u C-X = on
> € and on one of its two neighbours should tell which fonts are
> used. If they are not the same you can set initial-frame-alist and
> default-frame-alist to use a specific font with €. ('(font
> . "Liberation_Mono") or      '(font
> . "-apple-Menlo-medium-normal-normal-*-9-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1"))

I already had this in my initialisation scripts:

(set-face-font 'default
"-apple-Menlo-medium-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1")

Adding (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'unicode "Menlo") after that
as suggested by Giorgio fixed my line height problem.

Thanks anyway!

With kind regards,

Guido

--
Knowledge without common sense is folly.

http://vanhoecke.org ... and go2 places!