This. I'm also curious to know why is the process so bureaucratic as it is currently. Maybe there's a legal issue or something. On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 8:08 AM, Clément Pit-Claudel wrote: > Hey emacs-devel, > > Why is the copyright assignment process for GNU software more complex than > other similar ones ? I've contributed to various pieces of free software > in the past, and in most cases (except for Apache) the assignment process > was little more than a click of a button, possibly followed by an email. > For Emacs, on the other hand, one needs to send an email to emacs-devel to > get an off-list copy of a text-based form, then send the completed form to > assign@gnu, then wait for a PDF (which mentions a monetary transaction of > $1 that never actually happens), then electronically sign the form using > PGP (possibly with an entirely new PGP key), then email it back and wait > for confirmation. > > Is there anything specific to Emacs that requires the process to be this > complicated? For example, could the entire process not be automated? > Ideally new contributors would fill a web form on gnu.org/emacs, sign > with their mouse at the bottom of that form, and confirm their email adress > by clicking a link in an email. > > The existing process could remain in place for e.g. company-wide > assignments, but for the common case of applying a patch to an ELPA > package, wouldn't this make things much nicer? If this can't be done, then > could we at least automate the part that generates the PDF form, and the > part that checks the signature, so as to eliminate the copyright assignment > delay? > > Thanks! > Clément. > >