​I support this, could not agree more. On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 12:29 PM, John Yates wrote: > On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 7:05 PM, Richard Stallman wrote: > >> I wish someone would write a package comparable to Magit that >> we could get legal papers for and include it in Emacs. >> > > ​Richard, > > I cannot let this go without commenting. Do you understand what > you are advocating? > > In Jonas you have someone who is doing just about everything > right per your notion of software freedom including applying gpl v3. > He has made significant personal sacrifices to provide emacs with > a package that is unique among editors and IDEs. It could emerge > as one of those oh-so-elusive creatures: a true killer app for the > emacs platform. > > Jonas has and continues to deliver a steady stream of features, > bug fixes and refinements. Magit is clearly a work of love that is > wonderfully supported. Jonas has exhibited admirable project > leadership skill and has published a detailed, credible map to > the future: > > https://github.com/magit/magit/projects/1 > > Some of us care enough about developers like Jonas and the > value he is delivering to emacs that we have responded to his > plea for financial support via PayPal, Patreon or Bountysource. > > Were Jonas' effort invested in a non-GNU project, or at least not > one so dear to you heart as emacs, I suspect that you would > applaud his work. > > Instead you seem to advocate undercutting Jonas' efforts with > no good reason to believe that you would get a replacement of > anywhere near the same quality. Further, were you actually to > mount such a competing effort I am confident that long before it > ever delivered any useful amount of functionality you, the emacs > community, and the gnu effort would harvest significant bad press. > > Sometimes community might be more important than copyright > assignment. Please reconsider you request. > > /john > >