Ted, https://hub.docker.com/r/gnuemacs/emacs/ is giving me http 404. Is that the correct address? On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Ted Zlatanov wrote: > On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 18:10:53 +0100 Ricardo Wurmus > wrote: > > RW> Filipe Silva writes: > > >> Ted, I think that before the portable dumper branch get's merged or the > big > >> elc file branch gets merged, you are going to have a really hard time > >> writing a docker file for that because of: > >> https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/22801 > > RW> I would like to state again that we (i.e. the GNU project) already have > RW> a way to build valid Docker images for Emacs using GNU Guix. It does > RW> not even involve the use of Docker, nor does it require a third-party > RW> “base image” of a GNU+Linux system. > > I don't see a problem providing both as "gnuemacs/guix-emacs" and > "gnuemacs/docker-emacs" or something like that. Or as tags of > "gnuemacs/emacs". I don't think they are equivalent, though, so the need > for a `docker build' solution is still there. > > RW> Would it be helpful if the Guix project provided a Docker image for the > RW> latest release for download? To me it seems only natural for GNU Emacs > RW> and GNU Guix to cooperate; it’s all GNU. > > Sure. But there's more that Docker Hub offers: a global namespace; a > distributed download service; automated builds. You can upload the Guix > image to Docker Hub and get all of those benefits except the automated > builds: see https://docs.docker.com/docker-hub/repos/ > > If you can pack an ARM build into the image so it's multiarch, that's > great too. I know there's a way to do it with the Docker tools, so the > image format supports it. But it's definitely not a requirement. > > I can add you to the Docker Hub account so you can do at least the first > uploads. Later we can automate them through Hydra or some other CI tool. > > Ted > > >