all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* delete-file using wildcard
@ 2011-10-29  7:54 ishi soichi
From: ishi soichi @ 2011-10-29  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a question about Emacs Lisp, which I believe is simple enough for
most of you.

I would like to delete files in a directory.
When doing so with Linux command, we usually do,

> rm *

at that directory.

the wildcard command does not seem work similarly in Emacs Lisp.

(delete-file (subseq (file-expand-wildcards "~/Desktop/*") -1))

doesn't work.

Could anyone help me out?

soichi

* Re: delete-file using wildcard
@ 2011-10-29  8:12 ` Jambunathan K
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-10-29  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: ishi soichi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

May be you should use dired.

1. C-x C-f ~/tmp RET
2. * % \.pdf$
3. t
4. k
5. t
6. D

1 => visit directory in dired
2 => mark all pdf files. Uses emacs style regexps
3 => toggle mark. this marks all non-pdf files
4 => kill mark. Removes the display of files marked in 3
5 => toggle mark. this marks all pdf files. This shows (just) the files that you
will be operating upon
6 => Delete the chosen files

Steps 3,4 and 5 are optional.

Use with caution.

@ 2011-10-29  8:48 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-10-29  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ishi soichi <soichi777@gmail.com> writes:

Hi!

> the wildcard command does not seem work similarly in Emacs Lisp.
>
> (delete-file (subseq (file-expand-wildcards "~/Desktop/*") -1))

`delete-file' wants exactly one file given as string, but the `subseq'
form returns a *list* with exactly one file name, i.e., the last file
matching the given wildcard.

This should do the trick:

  (delete-file (nth 0 (subseq (file-expand-wildcards "~/Desktop/*") -1)))

Bye,
Tassilo
--
(What the world needs (I think) is not
      (a Lisp (with fewer parentheses))

* Re: delete-file using wildcard
@ 2011-10-29  8:50   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-10-29  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> ishi soichi <soichi777@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi!
>
>> the wildcard command does not seem work similarly in Emacs Lisp.
>>
>> (delete-file (subseq (file-expand-wildcards "~/Desktop/*") -1))
>
> `delete-file' wants exactly one file given as string, but the `subseq'
> form returns a *list* with exactly one file name, i.e., the last file
> matching the given wildcard.
>
> This should do the trick:
>
>   (delete-file (nth 0 (subseq (file-expand-wildcards "~/Desktop/*") -1)))

Argh, of course one would use `car' instead of `nth' here.

Bye,
Tassilo
--

@ 2011-10-29  8:57   ` ishi soichi
From: ishi soichi @ 2011-10-29  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks! It helped.

soichi

@ 2011-10-29  9:03 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-10-29  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: ishi soichi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 29.10.2011 um 09:54 schrieb ishi soichi:

> I would like to delete files in a directory.
> When doing so with Linux command, we usually do,
>
>> rm *
>
> at that directory.

You could use a shell-command that performs exactly this.

--
Greetings
                                 <]

* RE: delete-file using wildcard
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-10-29 14:16 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-10-29 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'ishi soichi', help-gnu-emacs

> I would like to delete files in a directory.
> When doing so with Linux command, we usually do, rm *
> at that directory.
> the wildcard command does not seem work similarly in Emacs Lisp.
> (delete-file (subseq (file-expand-wildcards "~/Desktop/*") -1))
> doesn't work.  Could anyone help me out?

Others have provided some solutions.  To do it interactively, Dired is your
friend, as Jambunathan suggested.

Another interactive solution is `icicle-delete-file'.  It's a multi-command
version of `delete-file', which means that you can act on (delete, in this case)
any number of files and directories with the same command invocation.

For your example, just do this: M-x icicle-delete-file TAB C-!

You can type a pattern to match, before hitting TAB (or S-TAB, if the pattern is
a regexp).  The key `C-!' means act on *all* matching candidates.  Whatever file
names currently match your minibuffer input (they are shown in *Completions*),
those files are deleted.  Or use `C-mouse-2' or `C-RET' to act on only one
candidate at a time.

Change your input (pattern) to act on different files.  You can also change to
another directory, using `C-c C-d'.  All during the same command invocation.
Use C-g to end the command (or RET to act on one final candidate).

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Multi-Commands#toc3

* Re: delete-file using wildcard
@ 2011-10-29 20:30   ` ishi soichi
From: ishi soichi @ 2011-10-29 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw