all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* override comment-or-uncomment-region gives an error
@ 2013-05-30  2:05 ishi soichi
From: ishi soichi @ 2013-05-30  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am trying to override the existing function,
comment-or-uncommnent-region like

(defun comment-or-uncomment-region ()
  (interactive)
  (cond ((equal major-mode 'web-mode)
 (web-mode-comment-or-uncomment))
(t
 (comment-or-uncomment-region))))

When using web-mode, the commenting function is different. So I need
something like this.

It works for web-mode case, but it raises an error for any other modes,

  cond: Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth'

Does anyone see why?

soichi

* RE: override comment-or-uncomment-region gives an error
@ 2013-05-30  2:47 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-05-30  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ishi soichi, help-gnu-emacs

> I am trying to override the existing function,
> comment-or-uncommnent-region like
>
> (defun comment-or-uncomment-region ()
>   (interactive)
>   (cond ((equal major-mode 'web-mode)
>  (web-mode-comment-or-uncomment))
> (t
>  (comment-or-uncomment-region))))
>
>   cond: Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth'

You have (c-o-u-r) calling (c-o-u-r) calling (c-o-u-r)...

See the Elisp manual about using defadvice.

* Re: override comment-or-uncomment-region gives an error
@ 2013-05-30  3:21   ` ishi soichi
From: ishi soichi @ 2013-05-30  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

thanks. I will read the documentation.

@ 2013-05-30  5:54 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-05-30  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 30.05.2013 04:05, schrieb ishi soichi:
> I am trying to override the existing function,
> comment-or-uncommnent-region like
>
> (defun comment-or-uncomment-region ()
>    (interactive)
>    (cond ((equal major-mode 'web-mode)
>   (web-mode-comment-or-uncomment))
> (t
>   (comment-or-uncomment-region))))
>
> When using web-mode, the commenting function is different. So I need
> something like this.
>
> It works for web-mode case, but it raises an error for any other modes,
>
>    cond: Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth'
>
> Does anyone see why?
>
> soichi

Defadvice is an an option. Personally, I'd redefine

comment-or-uncomment-region like that

(defun comment-or-uncomment-region (beg end &optional arg)
   "Call `comment-region', unless the region only consists of comments,
in which case call `uncomment-region'.  If a prefix arg is given, it
is passed on to the respective function."
   (interactive "*r\nP")
   (comment-normalize-vars)

   (cond ((equal major-mode 'web-mode)
          MY_NEEDED_FUNCALL
          (t

        (funcall (if (comment-only-p beg end)
	       'uncomment-region 'comment-region)
	   beg end arg))

;;;;;;

Redefining seems preferable WRT debugging/edebug

Andreas

* Re: override comment-or-uncomment-region gives an error
@ 2013-05-30 14:50 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-05-30 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> When using web-mode, the commenting function is different. So I need

Why not just set `comment-region-function' buffer-locally to some
function of your choice?

* Re: override comment-or-uncomment-region gives an error
@ 2013-06-04  3:04   ` ishi soichi
From: ishi soichi @ 2013-06-04  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

thanks. all comments seem useful. I will try one by one.

soichi