On Sun Nov 16 2014 at 1:53:20 PM Stefan Monnier wrote: > > I'm working on some code-completion related packages (company + ycmd), > and > > something I'm doing is triggering some pathological behavior that I could > > use help on. > > Care to describe what is this pathological behavior you're seeing? > Sorry, good point. The emacs process maxes out one of my cores for a few minutes. During this time emacs seems unresponsive to input, though it does redraw on the screen. > > Under some conditions that I haven't fully characterized yet, a thread > > in emacs goes off on an extended, recursive-looking adventure of > > some sort. > > What makes you think so? > The stack trace. It's clearly doing some recursion, though whether that actually has any bearing on the behavior I'm seeing is just conjecture. Maybe the deep-seeming stack of Ffuncall/exec_byte_code/etc. is normal, but it was remarkable enough to me that I thought I'd mention it. > What I'm hoping is that someone on this list can look at the > > attached stack info and give me some hint as to what might be going on. > > Better show the Elisp backtrace rather than the C backtrace. > What's the best way to get that? Bear in mind that, as far as I can tell, emacs isn't responding to input when I see this problem. And since I don't really know where this is happening in elisp-land, I'm not sure where to add instrumentation or anything like that. Austin