all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#37691: Toolbars are a mess of symbolic kinda-modern and colorful old-school icons
@ 2019-10-10 13:49 Carlos Pita
From: Carlos Pita @ 2019-10-10 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 37691

Probably related to the fact that almost nobody cares about the
toolbar except for hiding it immediately after installation. But
anyway this gives a very bad first impression to newcomers. Is this
related to my system configuration? I remember that some versions ago
I had the vintage looking colorful bar that was not particularly
modern but consistent at least.

[-- Attachment #2: Basic toolbar.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 13746 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: Info toolbar.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 23638 bytes --]

* bug#37691: Toolbars are a mess of symbolic kinda-modern and colorful old-school icons
@ 2019-10-10 15:02 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-10-10 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Pita; +Cc: 37691

> From: Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 10:49:21 -0300
>
> Probably related to the fact that almost nobody cares about the
> toolbar except for hiding it immediately after installation.

Please don't make such assertions without some statistics to back them
up.

FWIW, I always run with the tool bar shown, even though I rarely if
ever use it.

> But anyway this gives a very bad first impression to newcomers. Is
> this related to my system configuration? I remember that some
> versions ago I had the vintage looking colorful bar that was not
> particularly modern but consistent at least.

Adding prettier icons will be more than welcome, but please remember
not to copy them from places whose icons we cannot distribute for
copyright reasons.

* bug#37691: Toolbars are a mess of symbolic kinda-modern and colorful old-school icons
@ 2019-10-10 15:37   ` Carlos Pita
From: Carlos Pita @ 2019-10-10 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 37691

> > Probably related to the fact that almost nobody cares about the
> > toolbar except for hiding it immediately after installation.
>
> Please don't make such assertions without some statistics to back them
> up.

Ok, sorry, it was a bit tongue in cheek, didn't mean to sound harsh.

> Adding prettier icons will be more than welcome, but please remember
> not to copy them from places whose icons we cannot distribute for
> copyright reasons.

But my question was more about why some icons changed and others
don't. I see nothing wrong with the previous icon set, but now we have
a mix of styles, not just old fashioned icons, which is something I
don't mind. Is this part of a plan to replace old icons with symbolic
icons? Or is this because emacs is now taking some icons from
somewhere in my system and that behavior can be reversed toggling some
option?

* bug#37691: Toolbars are a mess of symbolic kinda-modern and colorful old-school icons
@ 2019-10-10 17:32     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-10-10 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Pita; +Cc: 37691

> From: Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 12:37:10 -0300
> Cc: 37691@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> But my question was more about why some icons changed and others
> don't. I see nothing wrong with the previous icon set, but now we have
> a mix of styles, not just old fashioned icons, which is something I
> don't mind. Is this part of a plan to replace old icons with symbolic
> icons?

I think it's due to availability and/or copyright issues.  I might be
wrong, but if you are interested, look up the changes in the Git
history, and then look for related discussions on emacs-devel and
gnu-emacs-bug mailing lists.

> Or is this because emacs is now taking some icons from somewhere in
> my system and that behavior can be reversed toggling some option?

If your build is with GTK, then maybe the tool-bar icons come from
GTK, I don't remember.  But otherwise Emacs uses our icons, from
etc/images/.