all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* term with multiple arguments
@ 2014-07-24 22:21 Carlos Pita
From: Carlos Pita @ 2014-07-24 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm unable to pass multiple arguments to term:

(term "ls /home")
(term "sh -c 'ls /home'")
too many arguments

(term '( "ls" "/home" ))
(term [ "ls" "/home" ])
wrong type argument

(term "ls" "/home")
wrong number of arguments

Is this possible? I would be surprised if not.

Regards
--
Carlos

* Re: term with multiple arguments
       [not found] <mailman.5973.1406240539.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-07-24 22:35 ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5975.1406243313.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-07-24 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita@gmail.com> writes:

> Is this possible? ...

With some other function, should be.

> (term "ls /home")
> (term "sh -c 'ls /home'")
> too many arguments

Does it say that? Mine says, for both:

    Process terminal exited abnormally with code 127
    ..: 1: [: sh: unexpected operator
    ..: 1: exec: sh -c 'ls /home': not found

> (term '( "ls" "/home" )) (term [ "ls" "/home" ])
> wrong type argument

Somewhere along the line that fails a `stringp' test,
i.e., `term' wants a string.

> (term "ls" "/home")
> wrong number of arguments

You can see that this isn't going to work just by
`C-h f term': (term PROGRAM) - so one argument.

--
underground experts united

* Re: term with multiple arguments
@ 2014-07-24 23:08   ` Carlos Pita
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5975.1406243313.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Carlos Pita @ 2014-07-24 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> You can see that this isn't going to work just by
> `C-h f term': (term PROGRAM) - so one argument.

Well, I'm not very aware of the elisp naming & documentation
conventions yet so I wasn't able to conclude that, PROGRAM could have
been a list or vector or some kind of composite value.

I see term is creating a terminal with make-term but not passing any
additional switches. I will write a version of term that optionally
takes switches and post it here later in case someone else is
interested.

Thank you
--

@ 2014-07-24 23:27     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-07-24 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita@gmail.com> writes:

>> `C-h f term': (term PROGRAM) - so one argument.
>
> Well, I'm not very aware of the elisp naming &
> documentation conventions yet so I wasn't able to
> conclude that, PROGRAM could have been a list or
> vector or some kind of composite value.

Yes, but still only one (1). Perhaps the documentation
should say what argument it expects (as for type) but
it doesn't, and it may be some other function that
complains down the road. I simply tried the function
with your list argument to learn that somewhere along
the line it failed a `stringp' test.

> I see term is creating a terminal with make-term but
> not passing any additional switches. I will write a
> version of term that optionally takes switches and
> post it here later in case someone else is
> interested.

Ha ha ha, right on!

--

@ 2014-07-25  9:42 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-07-25  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 19:21:54 -0300
>
> I'm unable to pass multiple arguments to term:
>
> (term "ls /home")
> (term "sh -c 'ls /home'")
> too many arguments
>
> (term '( "ls" "/home" ))
> (term [ "ls" "/home" ])
> wrong type argument
>
> (term "ls" "/home")
> wrong number of arguments
>
> Is this possible? I would be surprised if not.

The argument of 'term' is the executable file name of a program.  It's
not a shell command.