Here is a patch updated against current master. I know you have closed this issue, but please reconsider it in the light of my new proposal: it's very simple and PEP 8 friendly. The implementation just set a :no-indent context after two or more consecutive blank lines. That's it. PEP 8 states: Separate top-level function and class definitions with two blank lines. This is not mandatory, of course, but it's often the real intention of the coder and, in any case, it promotes honoring basic conventions. Cheers -- Carlos