On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 6:10 AM Stefan Kangas wrote: > (The most clear would be a suffix "-emacs-lock" or "-lock" but that is > probably too ugly and long.) > Appending `.lock` seems fine to me (note the period rather than hyphen). I don't find it ugly, instead explanatory! If users do see these file names, then it is clearer that they are lock files. There is precedent for use of this file extension[0], and there's also lots of precedent for stacking file extensions. I propose keeping the traditional `.#` prefix but adding a `.lock` suffix. [0]: https://fileinfo.com/extension/lock