all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Keys spontaneously rebinding themselves
@ 2013-09-03 16:24 David Storrs
From: David Storrs @ 2013-09-03 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I'm having a strange problem:  keys are spontaneously rebinding
themselves.  I was typing along recently when M-d suddenly decided
that it would do save-buffers-kill-emacs.  I quit and restarted emacs,
it kept doing it.  Today I rebooted and it rebound itself to
"beginning-of-line kill-line"

I evaluated (global-set-key "\M-d" 'kill-word) and it worked...for
about 30 seconds.  Then it went back to being "beginning-of-line
kill-line".  I tried reevaluating it again, figuring that, until I
found a permanent solution, I could just keep doing it every time this
happened.  Didn't work; it ignored my rebinding and stayed what it
was.

This is really starting to weird me out.  I've been using Emacs for
nearly 20 years and I've never seen anything like this.  Has it
happened to anyone else?

Stats are:

OSX 10.6.8
(emacs-version) => "GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (mac-apple-darwin) of 2011-06-07
on b1030.apple.com"

Oh and, yes, I know I'm 2 versions behind.  This is the version that
came with OSX; at one point I put some effort into upgrading to v24
but it was so much trouble that I abandoned it -- v22 suffices for
what I do with it.

Any help is much appreciated,

Dave

* Re: Keys spontaneously rebinding themselves
@ 2013-09-03 17:56 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-09-03 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: David Storrs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.09.2013 um 18:24 schrieb David Storrs:

> OSX 10.6.8
> (emacs-version) => "GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (mac-apple-darwin) of 2011-06-07
> on b1030.apple.com"

This is the GNU Emacs from Apple that comes with Mac OS X, the one without any windowing support. It's also possible that the terminal emulation you are using as host for GNU Emacs is doing some nonsense, sending the wrong characters. C-h l, in case you succeed in inputting these two, will show you what GNU Emacs has received until then.

With Snow Leopard you can try to restore /usr/bin/emacs-undumped and /usr/bin/emacs from a Time Machine backup.

You can also try to launch GNU Emacs with the options -q or -Q. Then GNU Emacs will not load init files, which might contain Elisp code to "rebind the keys".

--
Greetings

  Pete

Cabbage, n. A familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large and wise as a man's head.

* Re: Keys spontaneously rebinding themselves
@ 2013-09-03 21:01   ` David Storrs
From: David Storrs @ 2013-09-03 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

You're exactly right.  When I started up with -q it worked perfectly.
I experimented with disabling / reenabling certain files and seeing
when the issue came back, but it didn't -- yet another piece of
weirdness, but I'll take it.  Oorah!

Thanks, Peter.

Dave

@ 2013-09-03 21:17     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-09-03 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: David Storrs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Is you keyboard OK?

* Re: Keys spontaneously rebinding themselves
@ 2013-09-03 21:52       ` David Storrs
From: David Storrs @ 2013-09-03 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

As far as I can tell, yes.  It's the same keyboard that I've been
using all along, both before and after the issue.

Dave