all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#19585: 23.4; message-mode quietly saves plaintext in draft folder (potentially remote IMAP servers)
@ 2015-01-13 16:49 Attila Lendvai
From: Attila Lendvai @ 2015-01-13 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 19585

i have a gmail+gnus setup. when a message is marked to be encrypted in
message-mode (with a <#secure ...> tag) then drafts of the message end
up being saved quietly in cleartext to the gmail drafts folder.

i propose to change the defaults so that drafts are either saved
encrypted (to the sender as recipient, so that it can be decrypted for
further editing), or at least a warning should be shown to the user
before saving the message in cleartext.

thank you for all your efforts, past, present, and future!

--
- attila lendvai
- PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39

PS: i'm sending this from gmail because i couldn't set up SMTP for my
gmail account (cannot find any fix for "Must issue a STARTTLS command
first").

In GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-09-08 on trouble, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11204000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build'
'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib'
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs23:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
'--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
'--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall
-DDEBIAN -O2' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

* bug#19585: 23.4; message-mode quietly saves plaintext in draft folder (potentially remote IMAP servers)
@ 2017-01-25 21:13 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2017-01-25 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Attila Lendvai; +Cc: 19585

Attila Lendvai <attila@lendvai.name> writes:

> i have a gmail+gnus setup. when a message is marked to be encrypted in
> message-mode (with a <#secure ...> tag) then drafts of the message end
> up being saved quietly in cleartext to the gmail drafts folder.
>
> i propose to change the defaults so that drafts are either saved
> encrypted (to the sender as recipient, so that it can be decrypted for
> further editing), or at least a warning should be shown to the user
> before saving the message in cleartext.

Yes, that would seem to be unwanted behaviour.  Does anybody who knows
more about the encrypted mail part have any idea how to fix this problem?

* bug#19585: 23.4; message-mode quietly saves plaintext in draft folder (potentially remote IMAP servers)
@ 2019-09-23 11:43 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-09-23 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Attila Lendvai; +Cc: 19585

Attila Lendvai <attila@lendvai.name> writes:

> i have a gmail+gnus setup. when a message is marked to be encrypted in
> message-mode (with a <#secure ...> tag) then drafts of the message end
> up being saved quietly in cleartext to the gmail drafts folder.

I'm not quite sure I understand.  How does the draft end up in Gmail in
the first place?  I didn't think Gnus supported storing the drafts on an
IMAP server?

* bug#19585: 23.4; message-mode quietly saves plaintext in draft folder (potentially remote IMAP servers)
@ 2019-09-23 17:06   ` Attila Lendvai
From: Attila Lendvai @ 2019-09-23 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 19585

> > i have a gmail+gnus setup. when a message is marked to be encrypted in
> > message-mode (with a <#secure ...> tag) then drafts of the message end
> > up being saved quietly in cleartext to the gmail drafts folder.
>
> I'm not quite sure I understand.  How does the draft end up in Gmail in
> the first place?  I didn't think Gnus supported storing the drafts on an
> IMAP server?

unfortunately i don't remember the details anymore.

i suspect what happened was something like this: i configured
gmail/IMAP as the "backend" for gnus, and the local draft folder got
linked to the gmail/IMAP draft folder.

keep in mind that i'm not an expert in gnus. i was in the process of
evaluating whether to move my emailing over to emacs when this
happened.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39

* bug#19585: 23.4; message-mode quietly saves plaintext in draft folder (potentially remote IMAP servers)
@ 2019-09-25 12:57     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-09-25 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Attila Lendvai; +Cc: 19585

Attila Lendvai <attila@lendvai.name> writes:

>> I'm not quite sure I understand.  How does the draft end up in Gmail in
>> the first place?  I didn't think Gnus supported storing the drafts on an
>> IMAP server?
>
> unfortunately i don't remember the details anymore.
>
> i suspect what happened was something like this: i configured
> gmail/IMAP as the "backend" for gnus, and the local draft folder got
> linked to the gmail/IMAP draft folder.

I've had another look at the gnus-draft code, and it hard-codes
"nndraft:drafts" all over the place, and that backend (as far as I can
see) only supports storing drafts locally on disk.

So I don't see how this can happen.  :-)

I'm closing this bug report, but please reopen if anybody experiences
the same.