all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Continuing work on 'with-poll' (feature/more-fds)
@ 2024-08-03 11:36 Jonathon McKitrick via Emacs development discussions.
From: Jonathon McKitrick via Emacs development discussions. @ 2024-08-03 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: rpluim

I'm interesting in helping with this feature, perhaps as a tester or developer with some mentoring.

What can I do to help get things moving again?

Jonathon McKitrick
--
'My other computer is your Windows box.'

* Re: Continuing work on 'with-poll' (feature/more-fds)
@ 2024-08-15 12:27 ` Jonathon McKitrick via Emacs development discussions.
From: Jonathon McKitrick via Emacs development discussions. @ 2024-08-15 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: rpluim

On Sat, Aug 03, 2024 at 11:36:36AM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick via Emacs development discussions. wrote:
: I'm interesting in helping with this feature, perhaps as a tester or developer with some mentoring.
:
: What can I do to help get things moving again?

Does anyone have any insight into this feature and where it left off?
It seems useful, though when I ran it with CIDER I had some issues I'd like to help diagnose, as well as general testing and perhaps even development.

Jonathon McKitrick
--

@ 2024-09-08 16:59   ` Jonathon McKitrick via Emacs development discussions.
From: Jonathon McKitrick via Emacs development discussions. @ 2024-09-08 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathon McKitrick via Emacs development discussions.; +Cc: rpluim

On Thu, Aug 15, 2024 at 12:27:51PM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick via Emacs development discussions. wrote:

I'm not giving up on this feature just yet. Ignoring me doesn't make me go away lol.

Does anyone have any insight or interest into this feature, which ostensibly allows emacs on macos
to use more than the originally limited 1024 file descriptors, or something like that?

I'm happy to run it on my machine, for work or for leisure, and report issues and help fix them.
I've run into issues when running CIDER for clojure development, and it might be a simple fix,
or something far more involved.

Jonathon McKitrick
--

@ 2024-09-08 17:28     ` chad
From: chad @ 2024-09-08 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathon McKitrick
  Cc: Jonathon McKitrick via Emacs development discussions., rpluim

Speaking from the sidelines: the currently active emacs-devel community has
a dearth of people with the right combination of time, access, and interest
to guide big changes to macOS support. If you are interested in working on
such an idea, I'll suggest just pick up the effort and push it forward
yourself, then share it with emacs via the bug-tracker (for better
centralized tracking). If you get a patch that seems to work but needs
broader testing, posting to emacs-devel can be effective, and if it's not,
we/it can help spread the word. Keep in mind that code included in GNU
Emacs will eventually need copyright assignment for non-trivial
contributions.

It's also theoretically possible to get help from the community that uses
the other widely available macOS port (search for "carbon port versus cocoa
port" if you want more history here), but, last I checked (admittedly,
quite a while back) the mac port used some significantly different internal
machinery around select that _I would guess_ has a big impact in this area,
and is effectively not directly compatible -- but might still have valuable
insights & experience to share.

If you need a *place* to work on this project, ask again here or in the
big-tracker, and probably something can be worked out.

I hope that helps! (I stopped using macOS myself several years ago, so I
can't offer more direct assistance).
~Chad

* Re: Continuing work on 'with-poll' (feature/more-fds)
@ 2024-09-08 17:53       ` Jonathon McKitrick via Emacs development discussions.
From: Jonathon McKitrick via Emacs development discussions. @ 2024-09-08 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chad; +Cc: Jonathon McKitrick via Emacs development discussions., rpluim

On Sun, Sep 08, 2024 at 01:28:38PM -0400, chad wrote:

: quite a while back) the mac port used some significantly different internal
: machinery around select that _I would guess_ has a big impact in this area,

I haven't poked around OS internals in a long time, so I'm not sure if I should
start with understanding the 'select' machinery and work outwards, or start with
CIDER's failed nrepl connection and work inward. I could try the carbon port
and compare.

Are there any materials behind this change that might provide guidance to understand
what is being done differently with this approach? I just don't have enough info
to know if it isn't a 'drop-in replacement' or if CIDER makes some assumptions
that do not hold.

: I hope that helps! (I stopped using macOS myself several years ago, so I
: can't offer more direct assistance).

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

: ~Chad

Jonathon McKitrick
--
'There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself
is said to be bounded by its own curvature,

* Re: Continuing work on 'with-poll' (feature/more-fds)
@ 2024-09-10 23:36         ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2024-09-10 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathon McKitrick, chad; +Cc: emacs-devel, rpluim

<emacs-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> On Sun, Sep 08, 2024 at 01:28:38PM -0400, chad wrote:
>
> : quite a while back) the mac port used some significantly different internal
> : machinery around select that _I would guess_ has a big impact in this area,
>
> I haven't poked around OS internals in a long time, so I'm not sure if I should
> start with understanding the 'select' machinery and work outwards, or start with
> CIDER's failed nrepl connection and work inward. I could try the carbon port
> and compare.

I'd start with reading the past discussions about this in the mailing
list archive, reading the source code on the branch, etc.  Maybe start
with the thread "1024 file descriptors should be enough for anyone".

Thanks for your interest in working on this.