Eli Zaretskii writes: > > I'm not a Makefile expert, so I couldn't find a way to skip the > > configure step and immediately echo. > > There's GNUmakefile which could be used for that purpose. Thanks. I think I was able to find a good way to do it using that file. > > + @echo "make clean -- delete files from build" > > + @echo "make mostlyclean -- delete most files from build" > > + @echo "make distclean -- delete files from build and configure" > > + @echo "make maintainer-clean -- delete almost everything that can be regenerated" > > It would be good to have these 4 more descriptive. The above > basically just repeats the target names, which is not very helpful. I've extended that. > > + @echo "make bootstrap -- delete all files and force a new bootstrap" > > "Delete all files" sounds scary, and is also incorrect. Fixed. > > + @echo "make uninstall -- delete all installed files" > > I'd say "remove files installed by 'make install'" Done. > > + @echo "make docs -- generate Emacs documentation" > > + @echo "make html -- generate html documentation" > > + @echo "make ps -- generate ps documentation" > > + @echo "make pdf -- generate pdf documentation" > > The description of "make docs" should tell which formats it produces, > otherwise its relation to the 3 other docs-related targets is not > clear. Done. > Thanks. Thanks for reviewing. Please find attached a revised patch, incorporating your changes and also announcing this feature in NEWS for bigger visibility. Best regards, Stefan Kangas