Eli Zaretskii writes: > Ouch! what a mess do we have with this stuff! > > . the doc string of text-quoting-style the function doesn't document > its return values, but refers to the variable, so it's easy to > conclude that it also returns nil > . that doc string says "effective style", without explaining the > special processing of nil > . the function is not in the ELisp manual, but the variable is, > twice(!) Yeah, it's a mess. I suggest we address the documentation issues on emacs-28 with the attached patch. I compared the duplicate text, and the only thing that was different is that the word "variable" had been changed into "option". So I deleted the one in the wrong section and that incorrectly said "variable".