tags 58848 + patch thanks Stefan Kangas writes: > Severity: wishlist > > While looking at make-mode.el, I found out that there's a "browser" mode > in there, that's basically a poor mans imenu. Richard added this > comment to make-mode.el in 1994, and I'm inclined to agree: > > ;; * Consider removing browser mode. It seems useless. > > I have no idea what the situation was in 1994, but these days we have > imenu (and various associated frontends), so I think it is fully > redundant. > > I also tried > > git log --grep=browse lisp/progmodes/make-mode.el > > and it seems like the only changes in it over the years have been > cleanup type changes (fixing quoting in docstrings, and similar). > I also note that "emacs makefile browser" and "emacs make browser" gives > no hits on a web search, and I also can't find anything in the bug tracker. > > So how about making that stuff obsolete, as in the attached? In the > unlikely event that anyone is really attached to it, they will then have > a decade or so to pipe up. I've updated the patch for Emacs 30, added a NEWS and proper commit message.