all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#8426: Glyph and cursor problem with emacs
@ 2011-04-05 10:06 Matthew Carey
From: Matthew Carey @ 2011-04-05 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 8426

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.22.1)
 of 2011-02-22 on build34

SuSE Linux 11.4
KDE 4

Now I think this is a side effect of me installing too many fonts on this box
but I cannot see how to get out of it.

The selection of characters by the cursor is no longer rectangular but seeks to
match the glyph forms. When I edit I get ghosts of previous characters sitting
on the screen until I do a page up page down to refresh the screen.

The latter is what makes emacs impossible to use as I cannot distinguish between
the ghost characters and the real ones and the cursor location is not obvious.

My other box with the same OS and architecture does not exhibit the problem.

I attach an image to make the point clear.

1 No matter how many fonts I install emacs should be able to cope.
2 No other applications seem to be affected this way on the box.

I have tried removing clearing my .emacs file and changing .fonts.config.

If I use the same emacs installation forwarding X output to another machine it
works fine.

[-- Attachment #2: emacs_prob.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 42437 bytes --]

* bug#8426: Glyph and cursor problem with emacs
@ 2011-04-05 16:57 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-04-05 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matthew; +Cc: 8426

> Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 11:06:30 +0100
> From: Matthew Carey <matthew@ssl.co.uk>
>
> I attach an image to make the point clear.

Is that image after selecting the whole buffer, or is yellow the
default background on that frame?

Also, what font is being used here?  You can see that by going to some
of the characters and typing "C-u C-x =": Emacs will pop up a buffer
which shows, among other things, what font is being used to display
that character.

> 1 No matter how many fonts I install emacs should be able to cope.

Not if you install broken fonts, which, e.g., lie to Emacs about the
character dimensions.  (I'm not saying this is what happened, but just
don't expect Emacs to "cope" with bad fonts.)

* bug#8426: Glyph and cursor problem with emacs
@ 2011-04-05 17:08   ` Matthew Carey
From: Matthew Carey @ 2011-04-05 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 8426

Thanks for coming back to me so promptly

The yellow is the selection and it should not hug the glyphs, but that is a less
horrible symptom than the ghost characters.

This is the output of C-u C-x =

        character: i (105, #o151, #x69)
preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
       code point: 0x69
           syntax: w 	which means: word
         category: .:Base, a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman
      buffer code: #x69
        file code: #x69 (encoded by coding system undecided-unix)
          display: by this font (glyph code)
    xft:-unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1
(#x4C)

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: LATIN SMALL LETTER I
  general-category: Ll (Letter, Lowercase)

There are text properties here:
  fontified            t

And no I would not expect Emacs to cope with broken fonts, unfortunately which
ever font a change to I get the same problem.

@ 2011-04-05 17:20     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-04-05 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matthew; +Cc: 8426

> Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 18:08:50 +0100
> From: Matthew Carey <matthew@ssl.co.uk>
> CC: 8426@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> This is the output of C-u C-x =
>
>         character: i (105, #o151, #x69)
> preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
>        code point: 0x69
>            syntax: w 	which means: word
>          category: .:Base, a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman
>       buffer code: #x69
>         file code: #x69 (encoded by coding system undecided-unix)
>           display: by this font (glyph code)
>     xft:-unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1
> (#x4C)

Since you say that the same Emacs works fine when display is forwarded
to another machine, I suspect some problem on the X server level.  I
hope some expert on X (I'm not) will chime in, and find the above
information useful.

* bug#8426: Glyph and cursor problem with emacs
@ 2011-04-05 19:41 ` David De La Harpe Golden
From: David De La Harpe Golden @ 2011-04-05 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matthew; +Cc: 8426

On 05/04/11 11:06, Matthew Carey wrote:

> My other box with the same OS and architecture does not exhibit the problem.

The exact same architecture?  Particularly, same gfx card and same
version of said driver for said card, with same xorg.conf config
options?  It's just the perennially annoying closed x11 drivers for
ati/amd and nvidia hardware often have bizarre 2D drawing glitches, and
they can be dependent on the precise version, configuration options
(like which AccelMethod is in use) and whether compositing is enabled
[1][2] (in contrast, the open drivers are typically slow for 3D but
really good for 2D)

> 2 No other applications seem to be affected this way on the box.

That _could_ be just luck / the subset of apps used by the driver
authors for testing coinciding with yours.  Emacs handles its own
drawing to the main window with direct xlib calls, and may do things
legally but still differently to some other apps.

> If I use the same emacs installation forwarding X output to another machine it
> works fine.

Well, as Eli points out, that does strongly suggest it's an X server
level problem, not an emacs problem.  If it were, say, some call to
XFillRectangle being misplaced in the emacs binary you'd expect it to
occur on all X servers you tried.

The chances of DejaVu Sans Mono metrics being messed up seem slim, and
also xft/xrender based font rendering, unlike the old core x11
server-side font rendering, uses client-side tesselation to trapezoids
and you say the same emacs works on another x11 server, so that's not
the problem. While it's been actively developed (descended from
Bitstream Vera) and therefore there are different versions of it
floating about, it's an extremely widely used font, and the one I use
with emacs with no such problems.

[1] http://ati.cchtml.com/
[2]
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI_Catalyst#Catalyst_10.6.2F10.7.2F10.8.2F10.9_:_black.2Fgrey.2Fwhite_boxes.2Fartifacts_in_firefox.2Fthunderbird

* bug#8426: Glyph and cursor problem with emacs
@ 2011-04-06 10:16       ` Matthew Carey
From: Matthew Carey @ 2011-04-06 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 8426

I have switched off compositing and the problem appears to go away.

The machine is not identical to the one that does not have the problem in that
though both are 64bit the problem box is a Thinkpad T61 (7959-CT0) which has:

Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

So the question is: Is this a bug in the graphics driver or SuSE's packaging of
the driver compositing software.

@ 2011-04-06 15:15         ` David De La Harpe Golden
From: David De La Harpe Golden @ 2011-04-06 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matthew; +Cc: 8426

On 06/04/11 11:16, Matthew Carey wrote:
> I have switched off compositing and the problem appears to go away.
>
> The machine is not identical to the one that does not have the problem in that
> though both are 64bit the problem box is a Thinkpad T61 (7959-CT0) which has:
>
> Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
>
> So the question is: Is this a bug in the graphics driver or SuSE's packaging of
> the driver compositing software.

Well, a compositing manager is not card-specific... (can end up running
some proportion of different code on different cards, though e.g.
depending on shader capability level).   Looking through the intel
driver bugzilla [1], there are various "odd display artifact" type bugs.
If you wouldn't mind reporting the bug to them [2], they might be able
to diagnose.

[1]
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&component=Driver%2Fintel&product=xorg

[2] http://intellinuxgraphics.org/how_to_report_bug.html

* bug#8426: Glyph and cursor problem with emacs
@ 2019-10-01 16:39 ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2019-10-01 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David De La Harpe Golden; +Cc: matthew, 8426-done

David De La Harpe Golden <david@harpegolden.net> writes:

> On 06/04/11 11:16, Matthew Carey wrote:
>> I have switched off compositing and the problem appears to go away.
>>
>> The machine is not identical to the one that does not have the problem in that
>> though both are 64bit the problem box is a Thinkpad T61 (7959-CT0) which has:
>>
>> Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
>>
>> So the question is: Is this a bug in the graphics driver or SuSE's packaging of
>> the driver compositing software.
>>

> Well, a compositing manager is not card-specific... (can end up running some
> proportion of different code on different cards, though e.g. depending on shader
> capability level).   Looking through the intel driver bugzilla [1], there are
> various "odd display artifact" type bugs. If you wouldn't mind reporting the bug
> to them [2], they might be able to diagnose.
>
> [1]
> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&component=Driver%2Fintel&product=xorg
>
> [2] http://intellinuxgraphics.org/how_to_report_bug.html

From the above, I'm concluding that this is not a bug in Emacs, and I'm
therefore closing this 8 year old bug.

If this is the wrong conclusion, and this is still an issue, please
reopen the bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas