all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#72733: 29.4; Warning message while attempting to view customization buffer
@ 2024-08-20 14:19 tpeplt
From: tpeplt @ 2024-08-20 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 72733

Emacs Maintainers,

   Emacs 29.4 appears to be running some (uninitialized?) code when a
sequence of sub-menus is selected.  This results in a warning message
about something that an Emacs user has not selected.  Here is a recipe
for reproducing the problem.  I have run this several times and gotten
the same result each time.

1. $ emacs -Q

2. M-x customize RET

3. The *Customize Group: Emacs* buffer is displayed.  In this buffer,
   select "Programming" from the menu of the Emacs group.

4. The *Customize Group: Programming* buffer is displayed.  In this
   buffer, select "Languages" from the menu.

5. A *Warnings* buffer is displayed in a new window.  The following
   warning message is displayed in that buffer:

⛔ Warning (treesit): Cannot activate tree-sitter, because language grammar for ruby is unavailable (not-found): (libtree-sitter-ruby libtree-sitter-ruby.0 libtree-sitter-ruby.0.0 libtree-sitter-ruby.so libtree-sitter-ruby.so.0 libtree-sitter-ruby.so.0.0) No such file or directory

Please let me know if there is more information that you need to
reproduce this problem.

* bug#72733: 29.4; Warning message while attempting to view customization buffer
@ 2024-08-20 14:32 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-08-20 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpeplt; +Cc: 72733

> From: tpeplt <tpeplt@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2024 10:19:05 -0400
>
> Emacs Maintainers,
>
>    Emacs 29.4 appears to be running some (uninitialized?) code when a
> sequence of sub-menus is selected.  This results in a warning message
> about something that an Emacs user has not selected.  Here is a recipe
> for reproducing the problem.  I have run this several times and gotten
> the same result each time.
>
> 1. $ emacs -Q
>
> 2. M-x customize RET
>
> 3. The *Customize Group: Emacs* buffer is displayed.  In this buffer,
>    select "Programming" from the menu of the Emacs group.
>
> 4. The *Customize Group: Programming* buffer is displayed.  In this
>    buffer, select "Languages" from the menu.
>
> 5. A *Warnings* buffer is displayed in a new window.  The following
>    warning message is displayed in that buffer:
>
> ⛔ Warning (treesit): Cannot activate tree-sitter, because language grammar for ruby is unavailable (not-found): (libtree-sitter-ruby libtree-sitter-ruby.0 libtree-sitter-ruby.0.0 libtree-sitter-ruby.so libtree-sitter-ruby.so.0 libtree-sitter-ruby.so.0.0) No such file or directory

It's a known issue for which there's no simple solution.  We want
users who load ruby-ts-mode to know that they lack the Ruby grammar
library, which is what this warning is about.  And Customize loads
ruby-ts-mode to allow its customization when you select Languages.

We could perhaps shut up these specific warnings in that specific
situation, but that doesn't seem clean.  And the warning is just a
warning, and harmless.

* bug#72733: 29.4; Warning message while attempting to view customization buffer
@ 2024-08-20 17:04   ` tpeplt
From: tpeplt @ 2024-08-20 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 72733

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> It's a known issue for which there's no simple solution.  We want
> users who load ruby-ts-mode to know that they lack the Ruby grammar
> library, which is what this warning is about.  And Customize loads
> ruby-ts-mode to allow its customization when you select Languages.
>
> We could perhaps shut up these specific warnings in that specific
> situation, but that doesn't seem clean.  And the warning is just a
> warning, and harmless.

It appears to be too minor a problem to add to the etc/PROBLEMS file
(C-h C-p).

If the maintainers agree that this is going to be a persistent problem,
then it might be worth adding a "Bugs" or "Known Bugs" section to the
Customization chapter of the Emacs user manual so that Emacs users can
read that this problem/behavior is known and not need to report it.
Maintainers would then be able to point users to this section, which
could include description of scenarios in which the problem appears.

(info "(emacs) Customization")

- Geoffrey Chaucer, The Parliament of Birds.

* bug#72733: 29.4; Warning message while attempting to view customization buffer
@ 2024-09-30  7:12   ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2024-09-30  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, tpeplt; +Cc: 72733

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: tpeplt <tpeplt@gmail.com>
>> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2024 10:19:05 -0400
>>
>> Emacs Maintainers,
>>
>>    Emacs 29.4 appears to be running some (uninitialized?) code when a
>> sequence of sub-menus is selected.  This results in a warning message
>> about something that an Emacs user has not selected.  Here is a recipe
>> for reproducing the problem.  I have run this several times and gotten
>> the same result each time.
>>
>> 1. $ emacs -Q
>>
>> 2. M-x customize RET
>>
>> 3. The *Customize Group: Emacs* buffer is displayed.  In this buffer,
>>    select "Programming" from the menu of the Emacs group.
>>
>> 4. The *Customize Group: Programming* buffer is displayed.  In this
>>    buffer, select "Languages" from the menu.
>>
>> 5. A *Warnings* buffer is displayed in a new window.  The following
>>    warning message is displayed in that buffer:
>>
>> ⛔ Warning (treesit): Cannot activate tree-sitter, because language grammar for ruby is unavailable (not-found): (libtree-sitter-ruby libtree-sitter-ruby.0 libtree-sitter-ruby.0.0 libtree-sitter-ruby.so libtree-sitter-ruby.so.0 libtree-sitter-ruby.so.0.0) No such file or directory
>
> It's a known issue for which there's no simple solution.  We want
> users who load ruby-ts-mode to know that they lack the Ruby grammar
> library, which is what this warning is about.  And Customize loads
> ruby-ts-mode to allow its customization when you select Languages.
>
> We could perhaps shut up these specific warnings in that specific
> situation, but that doesn't seem clean.  And the warning is just a
> warning, and harmless.

Showing the warning doesn't seem very clean either.

* bug#72733: 29.4; Warning message while attempting to view customization buffer
@ 2024-09-30 12:28     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-09-30 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: 72733, tpeplt

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2024 00:12:12 -0700
> Cc: 72733@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> From: tpeplt <tpeplt@gmail.com>
> >> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2024 10:19:05 -0400
> >>
> >> Emacs Maintainers,
> >>
> >>    Emacs 29.4 appears to be running some (uninitialized?) code when a
> >> sequence of sub-menus is selected.  This results in a warning message
> >> about something that an Emacs user has not selected.  Here is a recipe
> >> for reproducing the problem.  I have run this several times and gotten
> >> the same result each time.
> >>
> >> 1. $ emacs -Q
> >>
> >> 2. M-x customize RET
> >>
> >> 3. The *Customize Group: Emacs* buffer is displayed.  In this buffer,
> >>    select "Programming" from the menu of the Emacs group.
> >>
> >> 4. The *Customize Group: Programming* buffer is displayed.  In this
> >>    buffer, select "Languages" from the menu.
> >>
> >> 5. A *Warnings* buffer is displayed in a new window.  The following
> >>    warning message is displayed in that buffer:
> >>
> >> ⛔ Warning (treesit): Cannot activate tree-sitter, because language grammar for ruby is unavailable (not-found): (libtree-sitter-ruby libtree-sitter-ruby.0 libtree-sitter-ruby.0.0 libtree-sitter-ruby.so libtree-sitter-ruby.so.0 libtree-sitter-ruby.so.0.0) No such file or directory
> >
> > It's a known issue for which there's no simple solution.  We want
> > users who load ruby-ts-mode to know that they lack the Ruby grammar
> > library, which is what this warning is about.  And Customize loads
> > ruby-ts-mode to allow its customization when you select Languages.
> >
> > We could perhaps shut up these specific warnings in that specific
> > situation, but that doesn't seem clean.  And the warning is just a
> > warning, and harmless.
>
> Showing the warning doesn't seem very clean either.

Indeed.  But all the other solutions were either much more complex or
concealed the warning in important cases.