Stefan Monnier writes: >> sed -n 's/^\([a-z]*\):.*/\1/p' Makefile # plus uniq... >> They are all pretty much standard targets, and documented at the top of >> the Makefile. > > It's not always easy to find the doc corresponding to a given target, so > I think it would indeed be a good idea to make "make help" return some > useful info. > I also think it would be a valuable addition to the GNU coding standards. > Just like all commands should accept a "--help", it would make sense for > the main Makefile to do something useful with "make help". How about something like the attached patch? I'm not a Makefile expert, so I couldn't find a way to skip the configure step and immediately echo. Thanks, Stefan Kangas