Eli Zaretskii writes: > On GNU/Linux, 'chmod' is documented in the Coreutils Info manual, and > the GNU Coding Standards generally prefer Info to man pages. So I'd > suggest to point to the Coreutils manual first, and to the man page > only as fallback. Yes, good thinking. But I pointed to the "File permissions" section instead, which seemed more to the point. > Actually, here's a more useful text: > > Note that on MS-Windows only the `w' (write) bit is meaningful: > resetting it makes the file read-only. Changing any other bit > has no effect on MS-Windows. Thanks. I'm pretty ignorant about MS-Windows so that definitely helps. How about the attached? Best regards, Stefan Kangas