tags 29420 + patch quit Drew Adams writes: >> > `C-h r g package menu' should give you a better description. >> > It should describe each column of the display. >> >> It does that already. > > It does, but the next sentence details the problem > with that description: nothing about `dependency', > for example (dunno whether there are other problems > with the columns description). > >> > It could describe column `status' better, for instance. Apparently >> > one of the possible values is `dependency', but that is not >> > mentioned. >> >> Patches to improve the documentation of package.el in the manual are >> most welcome. I generally find its documentation inadequate and >> outdated, and tried to improve that as best I could, but I don't know >> enough about it to do a better job, and apparently (and sadly) no one >> else is interested. > > I know (and likely care) less about the package system > than you. Neither of us is well placed, probably, to > help much in this regard. > > I do appreciate your attempts to solicit strong doc > along with new developments. The package system > slipped between the cracks to some extent in this > regard, I guessed. A guess is that when a large > set of code gets developed outside Emacs first > it can get added to Emacs all at once, and the doc > isn't necessarily gone over with a fine-tooth comb, > in spite of your best efforts. > > I agree that it would be great if Someone (TM) gave > the package.el doc some more attention. Please see the attached patch which extends the documentation to cover all possible package statuses. Any comments? Best regards, Stefan Kangas