all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#8165: 24.0.50; cperl indentation
@ 2011-03-03 16:37 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2011-03-03 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 8165

cperl-mode mis-indents _data_ (as opposed to _code_).
e.g.,

use Class::Struct Foo => [
    a => '$',
    b => '$',
    c => '$',
];

is indented as

use Class::Struct Foo => [
                          a => '$',
                          b => '$',
                          c => '$',
                         ];

which is much less readable.
the same goes for

my $foo = [
    "a",
    "b",
    ("c","d"),
];

I understand that this might be a matter of taste, but it would be nice
if my preferred indentation were also available.

PS. I am aware (and not fond) of the alternative

my $foo =
  [ .... ];

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on CentOS release 5.3 (Final) X
http://mideasttruth.com http://iris.org.il

* bug#8165: cperl-mode: The wanted indentation is available via customize
@ 2020-09-01 16:22 ` Harald Jörg
From: Harald Jörg @ 2020-09-01 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 8165

The desired indentation of data

use Class::Struct Foo => [
    a => '$',
    b => '$',
    c => '$',
];

is already available.  As so many things in cperl-mode, it can be
customized:

(setq cperl-close-paren-offset -4)
(setq cperl-indent-parens-as-block t)

Therefore I suggest to close this bug.

These are also the recommended settings in the most influential book
Perl Best Practices (PBP) by Damian Conway.  I guess I should add
the PBP settings for indentation in a new value to cperl-style-alist,
but that's probably beyond the scope of this bug report.
--
Cheers,
haj

* bug#8165: cperl-mode: The wanted indentation is available via customize
@ 2020-09-01 17:12   ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2020-09-01 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Harald Jörg, 8165-done

Harald Jörg <haj@posteo.de> writes:

> Therefore I suggest to close this bug.

Done.

You can just add -done to the bug number in the address if you would
like to do it yourself next time.  See the To-field of this message.

> These are also the recommended settings in the most influential book
> Perl Best Practices (PBP) by Damian Conway.  I guess I should add
> the PBP settings for indentation in a new value to cperl-style-alist,
> but that's probably beyond the scope of this bug report.

It sounds like a good idea to add such an option.

Just a thought: I seem to remember that the PBP recommendations is the
generally accepted style in the Perl community these days?  Does it make
sense to change that to be the default?  (It's been over 10 years since
I did any serious Perl programming...)

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

* bug#8165: cperl-mode: The wanted indentation is available via customize
@ 2020-09-01 18:15     ` Harald Jörg
From: Harald Jörg @ 2020-09-01 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 8165, stefankangas, sds

On 9/1/20 7:12 PM, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> Harald Jörg <haj@posteo.de> writes:
>
>> Therefore I suggest to close this bug.
>
> Done.
>
> You can just add -done to the bug number in the address if you would
> like to do it yourself next time.  See the To-field of this message.

Thank you for this hint.  I wasn't aware of that.

>> These are also the recommended settings in the most influential book
>> Perl Best Practices (PBP) by Damian Conway.  I guess I should add
>> the PBP settings for indentation in a new value to cperl-style-alist,
>> but that's probably beyond the scope of this bug report.
>
> It sounds like a good idea to add such an option.
>
> Just a thought: I seem to remember that the PBP recommendations is the
> generally accepted style in the Perl community these days?  Does it make
> sense to change that to be the default?  (It's been over 10 years since
> I did any serious Perl programming...)

I would be absolutely fine with making the PBP recommendations the
default.   By now, the book is 13 years old and some of its content
is no longer generally accepted - but as far as I can say, the
indentation rules haven't seen any criticism.  And though Damian is
a vim wizard, his book lists the Emacs variables which match his
recommendations - and it is still available for download from
O'Reilly.

Different indentation styles seem to be also present in perl-mode, but
only in the mode's documentation - there's no command to switch all
variables which customize indentation in one go.  Since the set of
available options is different anyway, I guess I can get away with
adding the new option to cperl-mode only.
--
Cheers,
haj