Stefan Kangas writes: > Colin Baxter writes: > >> I notice the second line of the file man/emacs.1.in has "2007 April >> 13". Therefore "man emacs " will give this date at the foot of the >> manual, along side the emacs version (27.1 in the case of the latest >> release). Should not this date be amended to something more recent? > > "man 7 man-pages" says: > > date The date of the last nontrivial change that was made to the man > page. (Within the man-pages project, the necessary updates to > these timestamps are handled automatically by scripts, so there > is no need to manually update them as part of a patch.) Dates > should be written in the form YYYY-MM-DD. > > Perhaps we could add a local timestamp variable to update it > automatically? It would catch even insignificant changes, but it would > be up to the committer to update the timestamp or not. How does the attached patch look? In addition to fixing the dates, I added a time-stamp-pattern and updated the title lines to match the recommendations in "man man-pages". (I also took a look at the gcc man page and made sure they use the "GNU" header like I do here.)