all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#59005: 29.0.50; Package transient installed as dependency despite it being built-in
@ 2022-11-03 20:04 miha--- via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: miha--- via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-11-03 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 59005

With an empty .emacs.d directory and nonexistent .emacs.el init file,
installing magit with 'M-x package-install RET magit RET' pulls
transient from elpa. You can see it installed into ~/.emacs.d/elpa/.

Perhaps transient should be added to finder--builtins-alist?

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2022-10-31 built on miha-pc
Repository revision: a691e811e23dee48674e9e0716429074fdbe3d7b
Repository branch: tmp
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Artix Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --without-libsystemd --with-native-compilation 'CFLAGS=-O2
 -g -flto' LDFLAGS=-flto'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 78478 6013)
 (symbols 48 7107 0)
 (strings 32 19315 2106)
 (string-bytes 1 579913)
 (vectors 16 14468)
 (vector-slots 8 257304 12864)
 (floats 8 27 46)
 (intervals 56 351 0)
 (buffers 984 12))

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#59005: 29.0.50; Package transient installed as dependency despite it being built-in
  2022-11-03 20:04 bug#59005: 29.0.50; Package transient installed as dependency despite it being built-in miha--- via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
@ 2022-11-24 19:40 ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2022-11-24 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: miha; +Cc: 59005, Jonas Bernoulli

miha@kamnitnik.top writes:

> With an empty .emacs.d directory and nonexistent .emacs.el init file,
> installing magit with 'M-x package-install RET magit RET' pulls
> transient from elpa. You can see it installed into ~/.emacs.d/elpa/.
>
> Perhaps transient should be added to finder--builtins-alist?

Jonas, any comments here?

* bug#59005: 29.0.50; Package transient installed as dependency despite it being built-in
@ 2022-11-25 14:29   ` Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2022-11-25 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas, miha; +Cc: 59005

> miha@kamnitnik.top writes:
>
>> With an empty .emacs.d directory and nonexistent .emacs.el init file,
>> installing magit with 'M-x package-install RET magit RET' pulls
>> transient from elpa. You can see it installed into ~/.emacs.d/elpa/.

That wouldn't be surprising when using Melpa.  But that archive is not
listed in the default value of `package-archives'.  What is its value
of that variable for you and what version of magit gets installed?

>> Perhaps transient should be added to finder--builtins-alist?

The purpose of doing that would be to ensure that `transient' gets its
own entry in `package--builtins' (but because it consists of a single
library it would be the wrong mechanism for doing so).  Since transient
already has such an entry in `package--builtins' anyway, doing this
would not change anything.

> Jonas, any comments here?

This is weird.  Maybe it is related to the following, which I also
cannot explain:

From: miha--- via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-11-26  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli, Stefan Kangas; +Cc: 59005

Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:

> Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> miha@kamnitnik.top writes:
>>
>>> With an empty .emacs.d directory and nonexistent .emacs.el init file,
>>> installing magit with 'M-x package-install RET magit RET' pulls
>>> transient from elpa. You can see it installed into ~/.emacs.d/elpa/.
>
> That wouldn't be surprising when using Melpa.  But that archive is not
> listed in the default value of `package-archives'.  What is its value
> of that variable for you and what version of magit gets installed?

(("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
 ("nongnu" . "https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/"))

and magit-3.3.0

More detailed bug recipe:

$ mkdir /tmp/emacs-tmp
$ HOME=/tmp/emacs-tmp src/emacs  # or just "emacs"

M-x package-install RET magit RET:
Emacs installs magit-3.3.0, most likely from nongnu elpa.

C-h v package-archives RET:
package-archivesis a variable defined in ‘package.el’.

Its value is
(("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
 ("nongnu" . "https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/"))

$ cd /tmp/emacs-tmp/.emacs.d/elpa
$ ls
archives
dash-2.19.1
dash-2.19.1.signed
git-commit-3.3.0
git-commit-3.3.0.signed
gnupg
magit-3.3.0
magit-3.3.0.signed
magit-section-3.3.0
magit-section-3.3.0.signed
transient-0.3.7
transient-0.3.7.signed
with-editor-3.2.0
with-editor-3.2.0.signed

Thanks and best regards.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#59005: 29.0.50; Package transient installed as dependency despite it being built-in
@ 2022-11-26 14:17     ` Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2022-11-26 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas, miha; +Cc: 59005

Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:

> This is weird.  Maybe it is related to the following, which I also
> cannot explain:

That is indeed the case.  The issue was triggered by a change to
elpa-admin.el, the addition of version checks, which takes pre-releases.
into account.  The root cause is a mismatch between how `version<' et
al. treat suffixes like "-git" and how I use "N-git" to mean "this is
not N, it is an arbitrary commit that comes after that".  I am in
communication with Stefan to decide how to deal with that.

* bug#59005: 29.0.50; Package transient installed as dependency despite it being built-in
@ 2023-02-10  1:38       ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2023-02-10  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: 59005, Stefan Kangas, miha

Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:

> That is indeed the case.  The issue was triggered by a change to
> elpa-admin.el, the addition of version checks, which takes pre-releases.
> into account.

By chance, could there be a relation of this to my bug#59652?  Dunno why
that one does not get any attention, it seems not that minor to me.

I ask because "transient" rings a bell (it is also a package that is
often related to trouble in my scenario).

Michael.

* bug#59005: 29.0.50; Package transient installed as dependency despite it being built-in
@ 2023-02-10 14:38         ` Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2023-02-10 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: 59005, Stefan Kangas, miha

> Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:
>
>> That is indeed the case.  The issue was triggered by a change to
>> elpa-admin.el, the addition of version checks, which takes pre-releases.
>> into account.
>
> By chance, could there be a relation of this to my bug#59652?  Dunno why
> that one does not get any attention, it seems not that minor to me.

No, I changed the "suffix" from "-git" to ".50-git", using both the
emacs specific not-a-release ".50" suffix and the "-git" suffix, whose
meaning apparently is up for discussion.  Using both suffixes works for
me, because all my version strings used for releases always have exactly
three parts, M.m.p.  I can use ".50" as the forth part for non-releases,
because I know I will never tack on a forth part ".0" when creating a
release.

1.2.3-git (*)  <  1.2.3  =  1.2.3.0 (*)  <  1.2.3.50-git  <  1.2.4

  (*) not used by me

[ Off-topic, but unlike version< et al., my vcomp.el, supports both pre
  and patch releases:

  1.2.3pre1 < 1.2.3 < 1.2.3-patch1

  The patch part can also be something like "-git" or "-1"; the dash is
  key.  The latter means it supports the "Debian package version number
  format".

  https://manpages.debian.org/wheezy/dpkg-dev/deb-version.5.en.html. ]

> I ask because "transient" rings a bell (it is also a package that is
> often related to trouble in my scenario).

What kind of trouble?  Packaging trouble I assume.

* bug#59005: 29.0.50; Package transient installed as dependency despite it being built-in
@ 2023-02-11  3:38           ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2023-02-11  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: 59005, Stefan Kangas, miha

Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:

> > I ask because "transient" rings a bell (it is also a package that is
> > often related to trouble in my scenario).
>
> What kind of trouble?  Packaging trouble I assume.

Yes: when updating packages from the package manager, dependencies are
sometimes in effect deleted instead of updated.  This is often
"transient", but that could be coincidental (because it gets regular
updates maybe).

No one seems to care about this problem so far.  Looking at package.el I
don't see a recent change that looks like it could have such an effect.
But since I did not get any help so far, I can only ask around...

Thanks,

Michael.

* bug#59005: 29.0.50; Package transient installed as dependency despite it being built-in
@ 2023-02-12 19:48             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2023-02-12 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: 59005, Jonas Bernoulli, Stefan Kangas, miha

> Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:
>
>> > I ask because "transient" rings a bell (it is also a package that is
>> > often related to trouble in my scenario).
>>
>> What kind of trouble?  Packaging trouble I assume.
>
> Yes: when updating packages from the package manager, dependencies are
> sometimes in effect deleted instead of updated.  This is often
> "transient", but that could be coincidental (because it gets regular
> updates maybe).
>
> No one seems to care about this problem so far.  Looking at package.el I
> don't see a recent change that looks like it could have such an effect.
> But since I did not get any help so far, I can only ask around...

I have seen this, also with transient, and more recently with "compat",
and found it very annoying. I think I solved it by explicitly
uninstalling transient and everything that depended on it, and then
re-installing -- I haven't seen the problem since. Come to think of it
compat was also a Magit dependency, so I wonder if something about
Magit's package definition changed? Anyway I haven't seen this for a
while, so I forgot about it.

* bug#59005: 29.0.50; Package transient installed as dependency despite it being built-in
@ 2023-02-13  2:24               ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2023-02-13  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: 59005, Jonas Bernoulli, Stefan Kangas, miha

> I have seen this, also with transient, and more recently with "compat",
> and found it very annoying. I think I solved it by explicitly
> uninstalling transient and everything that depended on it, and then
> re-installing -- I haven't seen the problem since. Come to think of it
> compat was also a Magit dependency, so I wonder if something about
> Magit's package definition changed? Anyway I haven't seen this for a
> while, so I forgot about it.

I was not so lucky.  Another package where the issue frequently appears
seems to be helm-core.  I guess a change in one package cannot explain
everything.

Maybe something in the Gnu Elpa archive?

Michael.