all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#66656: Bug reports
       [not found] <472007690.294115.1697838145836.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2023-10-20 21:42 ` Lewis Creary via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Lewis Creary via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2023-10-20 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 66656

I'm reporting a bug in Gnu emacs lisp, but I'm also reporting a bug in theprocess of reporting emacs lisp bugs.  This first bug consists in the factthat, in bug reports sent using M-x report-emacs-bug, my email address (lewcreary@cs.com, in the "from:" field of the email), would have been mangled into a somewhat similar, but different, address in the process of submitting the report.  As a result, any acknowledgment email intended for me (but sent to the mangled address) would not reach me, but wouldinstead generate a "no such person" mailing error.
The main bug I'm reporting consists in the fact that recently, when I triedto test the lisp function displayed just below, I triggered the lisp errormessage "`let' bindings can have only one value-form", when it is clear from inspection of the let* form in question that no such bug exists.  The let* form in question does have just one value-form, the lisp variable   eight-powr-sum..
(defun octal-to-dec (n)  (let* ((oct-str {number-to-string n)         (octal-digits (string-to-reverse-numlist oct-str))         (oct-digit nil)         (eight-powr-term-val 0)         (eight-powr-sum 0)         (indx 0)         (while-nil-val (while (<= indx (length octal-digits))            (setq oct-digit (nth indx octal-digits)                 eight-powr-term-val (* oct-digit (expt 8 indx))                 eight-powr-sum (+ eight-powr-sum eight-powr-term-val)                 indx (1+ index) ))) ) ; end of let-variables     eight-powr-sum )))
Subject: 29.1; "lisp error when there is no error"
In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2023-08-02 built on AVALONWindowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.22621System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (v10.0.2009.22621.2428)
Configured using: 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation=aot --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter CFLAGS=-O2'
Configured features:ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMPNOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFFTOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB
(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)
Important settings:  value of $LANG: ENU  locale-coding-system: cp1252
Major mode: ELisp/d

* bug#66656: Bug reports
@ 2023-10-20 22:06   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2023-10-20 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 66656; +Cc: lewcreary

On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 21:42:25 +0000 (UTC) Lewis Creary via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

[...]
> The main bug I'm reporting consists in the fact that recently, when I
> tried to test the lisp function displayed just below, I triggered the
> lisp error message "`let' bindings can have only one value-form", when
> it is clear from inspection of the let* form in question that no such
> bug exists.  The let* form in question does have just one value-form,
> the lisp variable eight-powr-sum..
>
> (defun octal-to-dec (n)
>   (let* ((oct-str {number-to-string n)
>          (octal-digits (string-to-reverse-numlist oct-str))
>          (oct-digit nil)
>          (eight-powr-term-val 0)
>          (eight-powr-sum 0)
>          (indx 0)
>          (while-nil-val (while (<= indx (length octal-digits))
>            (setq oct-digit (nth indx octal-digits)
>                  eight-powr-term-val (* oct-digit (expt 8 indx))
>                  eight-powr-sum (+ eight-powr-sum eight-powr-term-val)
>                  indx (1+ index) ))) ) ; end of let-variables
>      eight-powr-sum )))

The error is because the first let-binding binds `oct-str' to both
`{number-to-string' and `n'.  I guess `{' is a typo for `(' and there
should also be a closing `)': `(oct-str (number-to-string n))'.

Steve Berman

* bug#66656: Bug reports
@ 2023-10-21  7:27   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-10-21  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewis Creary; +Cc: 66656

> Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 21:42:25 +0000 (UTC)
> From:  Lewis Creary via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> I'm reporting a bug in Gnu emacs lisp, but I'm also reporting a bug in the
> process of reporting emacs lisp bugs.  This first bug consists in the fact
> that, in bug reports sent using M-x report-emacs-bug, my email address (lewcreary@cs.com, in the
> "from:" field of the email), would have been mangled into a somewhat similar, but different, address
> in the process of submitting the report.  As a result, any acknowledgment email intended for me (but
> sent to the mangled address) would not reach me, but would
> instead generate a "no such person" mailing error.

AFAIK, this should not happen.  In particular, this response email,
where the To: header was produced by my MUA, has your correct
unmangled email address.

> The main bug I'm reporting consists in the fact that recently, when I tried
> to test the lisp function displayed just below, I triggered the lisp error
> message "`let' bindings can have only one value-form", when it is clear from inspection of the let* form
> in question that no such bug exists.  The let* form in question does have just one value-form, the lisp
> variable
>  eight-powr-sum..

As Steve points out, the first binding includes an error, a typo,
where { was used instead of (.

I see no Emacs bug here.

* bug#66656: Bug reports
@ 2023-12-22 14:57     ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-12-22 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 66656-done, Lewis Creary

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 21:42:25 +0000 (UTC)
>> From:  Lewis Creary via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>>
>> I'm reporting a bug in Gnu emacs lisp, but I'm also reporting a bug in the
>> process of reporting emacs lisp bugs.  This first bug consists in the fact
>> that, in bug reports sent using M-x report-emacs-bug, my email address (lewcreary@cs.com, in the
>> "from:" field of the email), would have been mangled into a somewhat similar, but different, address
>> in the process of submitting the report.  As a result, any acknowledgment email intended for me (but
>> sent to the mangled address) would not reach me, but would
>> instead generate a "no such person" mailing error.
>
> AFAIK, this should not happen.  In particular, this response email,
> where the To: header was produced by my MUA, has your correct
> unmangled email address.
>
>> The main bug I'm reporting consists in the fact that recently, when I tried
>> to test the lisp function displayed just below, I triggered the lisp error
>> message "`let' bindings can have only one value-form", when it is clear from inspection of the let* form
>> in question that no such bug exists.  The let* form in question does have just one value-form, the lisp
>> variable
>>  eight-powr-sum..
>
> As Steve points out, the first binding includes an error, a typo,
> where { was used instead of (.
>
> I see no Emacs bug here.

I'm therefore closing this bug report.