On 21 February 2016 at 18:05, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote: Elias Mårtenson writes: > > > On a related note, I would expect a search for ö to match ø. As would > you, I > > guess? > > No, I wouldn't. :-) Actually, I wouldn't expect anything other than > the 26 first letters of the alphabet to match variants. > All right, but at least in Sweden we often write Danish and Norwegian names using ø and æ, so for us we definitely want to fold those into ö and ä. That was what I was referring to. I.e. the former are definitely variants of the latter. In fact, there is an argument to be made for "ü" to be a variant of "y" as well, even though it's very rare (pretty much limited to a single word: "Müsli"). > It's like it's fine if you're typing in lower case characters for them > to match upper case, too, but if you've bothered to type an upper case > character, then you probably don't want lower case characters to match. This is how Emacs behaves today, is it not? Regards, Elias