On 22 June 2015 at 09:44, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote: On this subject, you can spell it "comment and objections", but in my > experience what you get is "prejudice and hysteria". I see no reason > to change that assessment for what has happened here. I've been > through these battles a number of times, and the comment and objection > stage is always just a waste of time and bandwidth. Nobody ever > changes their mind based on so-called "rational argument"; the only > actual result that ever happens is that implementation is always > delayed, and often proponents give up entirely for a while. For what it's worth, reading through this discussion has changed my mind. I went into this sceptical of the change, but I'm now convinced it's the right thing. I just updated gnu-apl-mode to use the curly quotes instead of the old style. I'm assuming that the existence of the curly quotes will not screw anything up (as in: the application will still work and not crash in your face) in older versions of Emacs. Can anyone confirm this? Regards, Elias