all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using Emacs in Place of an X Environment?
@ 2018-11-30 13:19 hunter.t.joz
From: hunter.t.joz @ 2018-11-30 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

When switching to Emacs as my fulltime editing environment, I was
wondering if it could stand in place of an X session for most
uses. Naturally, there are those applications (Mumble comes to mind)
that don't have a command line interface (I've tried Barnard and I
didn't like the way it made my microphone sound distant). Another use
case that I am not sure how to get around is the JavaScript issue; I
don't think that eww supports it, given that when I tried to load a
JavaScript site, things went totally crazy and I needed to reboot the
machine. Any tips would be greatly appreciated in making Emacs my main
interface.

Thanks,

Hunter

* Re: Using Emacs in Place of an X Environment?
@ 2018-11-30 15:20 ` Mike Rosset
From: Mike Rosset @ 2018-11-30 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hunter,

The closest thing I know of that can do what you looking for is called exwm.

https://github.com/ch11ng/exwm

Mike R

@ 2018-11-30 20:12 ` Vladimir Sedach
From: Vladimir Sedach @ 2018-11-30 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hunter.t.joz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> case that I am not sure how to get around is the JavaScript issue; I
> don't think that eww supports it, given that when I tried to load a
> JavaScript site, things went totally crazy and I needed to reboot the
> machine. Any tips would be greatly appreciated in making Emacs my main
> interface.

http://edbrowse.org/ is supposed to have the best JavaScript support
out of the available non-graphical web browsers.

Vladimir