Go into a tramp buffer, then execute: (async-shell-command "echo -n \"Type something:\"; read line; echo line=$line" nil nil) Your command will print: Type something:line= and terminate. It should have printed Type something: waited for your keyboard input and print: line= 2014-02-05 Michael Albinus : > Sylvain Chouleur writes: > > > That said, we still have the original issue of the bz I raised: > > by executing tramp shell commands in this way: > > exec <<'EOF' bash > > > > EOF > > > > we loose the possibility to send user inputs to bash, so commands like > > 'read' will not work. > > That's why I proposed the two approaches to handle your problem (long > > line arguments) and my problem (bash stdin) > > Please give me a concrete Lisp example how you invoke this. Otherwise I > cannot debug; my examples do work. > > Alternatively, tell me what you have entered, starting with "M-x". > > Best regards, Michael. >