all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Moving frames around screens
@ 2024-07-03 12:10 Psionic K
From: Psionic K @ 2024-07-03 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm adding a command to dslide called `dslide-present'.  It will
create a frame that has a modal transient UI for positioning the
frame.  Since the user won't control both frames simultaneously. the
base frame and presentation frame should be able to swap positions

This is the kind of problem that really relies on experience with
different desktop environments.  Are there certain functions and
strategies I should rely on or avoid to make this work well on
multiple desktop environments?

Thanks

* RE: [External] : Moving frames around screens
@ 2024-07-03 14:57 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2024-07-03 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Psionic K, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> I'm adding a command to dslide called `dslide-present'.  It will
> create a frame that has a modal transient UI for positioning the
> frame.  Since the user won't control both frames simultaneously. the
> base frame and presentation frame should be able to swap positions
>
> This is the kind of problem that really relies on experience with
> different desktop environments.  Are there certain functions and
> strategies I should rely on or avoid to make this work well on
> multiple desktop environments?

Not sure what you're asking, including what
you mean by "different desktop environments".

I've long had commands that let you resize or
move frames around incrementally (e.g. by
holding down a key).

You can certainly move them across different
_monitors_.  I don't see how Emacs desktops
would be related to frame movements, but
perhaps you mean different platforms?
___

Anyway, in case it helps: see frame-cmds.el:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/frame-cmds.el

Some suggested key bindings:

* `M-up|down|left|right': move frames around incrementally.
* `C-S-v', `M-S-v', `C-S-next', `C-S-prior': move frames
    to screen edges.
* `C-M-up|down|left|right': resize frames incrementally.
* `C-x {', `C-x }', `C-x ^', `C-u C-x ^': resize windows
    incrementally.
* `C-M-z' or `C-x C-z': iconify/hide all frames.
* `C-M-z' in a lone frame: restore all frames.
* `C-mouse-1' in the minibuffer: restore all frames.
* `C-mouse-1' in Dired: mark/unmark a file.
* `C-mouse-3' on the mode line: remove window from frame.
* `tile-frames-horizontally', `-vertically': tile frames.
* `C-x o': select `other-window' or `other-frame'.

Maybe `move-frame-up' (`M-up') etc. are
similar to what you want to do?  But there's
no "base frame" and "presentation frame" -
you directly move a frame (default: selected
frame) incrementally by holding down a key.

frame-cmds.el requires frame-fns.el:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/frame-fns.el

Other frame-command libraries:

`autofit-frame.el' - Automatically fit each frame to its
                     selected window.  Uses `fit-frame.el'.
`fit-frame.el'     - 1) Fit a frame to its selected window.
                     2) Incrementally resize a frame.
`doremi-frm.el'    - Incrementally adjust frame properties
                     using arrow keys and/or mouse wheel.
`thumb-frm.el'     - Shrink frames to a thumbnail size and
                     restore them again.
`zoom-frm.el'      - Zoom a frame or buffer, so its text
                     appears larger or smaller.

Those libraries are also at

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs?action=elisp-area