all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Obsolete antlr-mode shipped with emacs 24.5.1
@ 2015-11-23 12:11 jan
From: jan @ 2015-11-23 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: christoph.wedler

Hi everyone,
this is my first post here.
I've just started using the ANTLR4 parsing tool, and was using the
antlr-mode (2.2.3) that ships with my version of emacs (emacs 24.5.1).
I soon ran into problems, and found there was a much later version
available (it's now up to 3.1.0).

I contacted the author who was aware of this and said he was working
on stabilising it, and was confident he could do that by December this
year.

He asked me to post here and ask whether antlr-mode could be updated then?

Emacs 24.5.1 running on Windows 2008 R2

regards

jan

* Re: Obsolete antlr-mode shipped with emacs 24.5.1
@ 2015-11-23 13:56 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-11-23 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jan; +Cc: christoph.wedler, emacs-devel

> He asked me to post here and ask whether antlr-mode could be updated then?

It would go onto master, once it's ready.

John

* Re: Obsolete antlr-mode shipped with emacs 24.5.1
@ 2015-11-23 14:46   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2015-11-23 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jan; +Cc: christoph.wedler, emacs-devel

John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> writes:

>> He asked me to post here and ask whether antlr-mode could be updated then?
>
> It would go onto master, once it's ready.

Or Gnu ELPA, more likely

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Obsolete antlr-mode shipped with emacs 24.5.1
@ 2015-11-23 15:00     ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-11-23 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake; +Cc: christoph.wedler, jan, emacs-devel

>>> He asked me to post here and ask whether antlr-mode could be updated then?
>> It would go onto master, once it's ready.

> Or Gnu ELPA, more likely

I'd prefer that, yes, except that it's in core already, and we haven't yet
made the choice to move things around.

John

* RE: Obsolete antlr-mode shipped with emacs 24.5.1
@ 2015-11-23 17:21       ` Wedler, Christoph
From: Wedler, Christoph @ 2015-11-23 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley, Stephen Leake; +Cc: jan, emacs-devel@gnu.org

>>> It would go onto master, once it's ready.

>> Or Gnu ELPA, more likely

> I'd prefer that, yes, except that it's in core already, and we haven't yet
> made the choice to move things around.

Gnu ELPA or core Emacs is both fine with me.

There is one question if we remove it from core Emacs: how about the
entry ".g" in speedbar-supported-extension-expressions?

1. Keep it even if there is no core major-mode anymore which supports it.
   A bit strange, but not really an issue.

2. Remove it.  Then antlr-mode has to add the entry, BUT: it is a
   customizable variable and another variable (speedbar-file-regexp)
   depends on it on load time -> I am a bit reluctant to do that...

- Christoph

P.S. Next week there should be a version of antlr-mode which is also
"custom-stable" enough... (in terms of usage, the newest 3.1.0 should be
more stable than the version 2.2.3 shipped with Emacs)

* Re: Obsolete antlr-mode shipped with emacs 24.5.1
@ 2015-11-23 17:44         ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-11-23 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wedler, Christoph; +Cc: jan, Stephen Leake, emacs-devel@gnu.org

> There is one question if we remove it from core Emacs: how about the entry
> ".g" in speedbar-supported-extension-expressions?

In future we will also have "core ELPA", for ELPA packages that Emacs core is
permitted to rely upon. I believe this will require additional tooling we
don't quite have in place yet.

John