Thank you, Dmitry! I'll run tests later today and get back to you. David. On Thu, 9 May 2024, 04:00 Dmitry Gutov, wrote: > On 07/05/2024 05:27, Dmitry Gutov wrote: > > On 03/05/2024 16:42, Stefan Monnier via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the > > Swiss army knife of text editors wrote: > >>> Thanks for looking over the patch. Here's the recipe for the purported > >>> bug in xref.el: > >> The problem stems from xref.el's constant abuse of > >> `inhibit-modification-hooks`. Binding this var to t should be done only > >> in exceptional circumstances and should ideally be accompanied by a > >> comment explaining why it's necessary. > > > > Well, the reason is performance: I've tried to wring out the most out of > > it, given that we have to parse the buffer for syntax in Elisp, and > > that'll always have a certain overhead. > > > > The difference between inhibiting and not could be up to 20% of runtime. > > > > David's fix makes things slower (just due to having us do the necessary > > work), but still has an edge over having no inhibit-modification-hooks. > > > > That remaining improvement is around 4-7% in my testing, though, so > > maybe it's the point where we should prioritize simplicity. > > For now, I've pushed a fix in 86187d43e2d which seems to handle David's > scenario and address your review comment as well. >