all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs tshirts
@ 2015-09-27 23:18 Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2015-09-27 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there anyway to get emacs tshirts in such a way that FSF will get some
money for it? I see 3rd party tshirts: http://www.zazzle.com/emacs+tshirts
but nothing on shop.fsf.org.

Thanks,
Jai

* Re: emacs tshirts
@ 2015-09-27 23:33 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-09-27 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there anyway to get emacs tshirts in such a way
> that FSF will get some money for it? I see 3rd party
> tshirts: http://www.zazzle.com/emacs+tshirts but
> nothing on shop.fsf.org.

I have bicycle repair shop and I thought of putting up
a couple of flags from "the movement" above the
entrance, but I don't know of any logos from the FSF,
Emacs, and Gnus worlds.

The one I know of is the Linux penguin, but after
having had an itchy feeling a couple of years
I ultimately decided I don't like those people (the
system, which is Unix, is another matter).

In the "Free software" sphere the politics is too
boring/fanatical for my taste, but the people are
relaxed and with great skills - as opposed to the
linuxers (or Linux fanbase I should say) where
politics is relaxed ("cheeky") and pragmatic while
nonetheless a lot of rabid screaming and shouting from
people who cannot themselves write even a for loop to
go with the "Triangle" 2009 movie.

This is probably, tho I daren't say, something
thoughtworthy. Besides, that penguin is unsexy - if
so, I want an athlete penguin with eye-piercing...
uhm, eyes.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: emacs tshirts
@ 2015-09-27 23:36   ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2015-09-27 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This is a nice looking t-shirt!

http://www.zazzle.com/geeky_emacs_ninja_t_shirt-235022597464706832

I don't care much about the politics and all that, but I do appreciate the
*products*, especially emacs, and that's really what I'd want to support
when buying such a tshirt. I suppose if FSF doesn't sell any, "free
advertising" by me wearing the tshirt never hurt i guess.

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 7:33 PM, Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
wrote:

> Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Is there anyway to get emacs tshirts in such a way
> > that FSF will get some money for it? I see 3rd party
> > tshirts: http://www.zazzle.com/emacs+tshirts but
> > nothing on shop.fsf.org.
>
> I have bicycle repair shop and I thought of putting up
> a couple of flags from "the movement" above the
> entrance, but I don't know of any logos from the FSF,
> Emacs, and Gnus worlds.
>
> The one I know of is the Linux penguin, but after
> having had an itchy feeling a couple of years
> I ultimately decided I don't like those people (the
> system, which is Unix, is another matter).
>
> In the "Free software" sphere the politics is too
> boring/fanatical for my taste, but the people are
> relaxed and with great skills - as opposed to the
> linuxers (or Linux fanbase I should say) where
> politics is relaxed ("cheeky") and pragmatic while
> nonetheless a lot of rabid screaming and shouting from
> people who cannot themselves write even a for loop to
> go with the "Triangle" 2009 movie.
>
> This is probably, tho I daren't say, something
> thoughtworthy. Besides, that penguin is unsexy - if
> so, I want an athlete penguin with eye-piercing...
> uhm, eyes.
>
> --
> underground experts united
> http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: emacs tshirts
@ 2015-09-27 23:46     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-09-27 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't care much about the politics and all that,
> but I do appreciate the *products*, especially
> emacs, and that's really what I'd want to support
> when buying such a tshirt. I suppose if FSF doesn't
> sell any, "free advertising" by me wearing the
> tshirt never hurt i guess.

There are services nowadays to which you submit a PNG
or perhaps a PDF and then you get it on whatever you
want: clothes, pens, coffee cups (especially for the
lamers that do Java), pencil boxes, fake tatoos, you
name it.

--

@ 2015-09-28  0:57       ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2015-09-28  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I wish the emacs ninja tshirt didn't have that mouse drawn on it along with
the monitor and keyboard. Also, while I don't use vi, I respect that
concept and wouldn't say that "I don't like it" :)

--
Kaushal Modi
On Sep 27, 2015 7:46 PM, "Emanuel Berg" <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I don't care much about the politics and all that,
> > but I do appreciate the *products*, especially
> > emacs, and that's really what I'd want to support
> > when buying such a tshirt. I suppose if FSF doesn't
> > sell any, "free advertising" by me wearing the
> > tshirt never hurt i guess.
>
> There are services nowadays to which you submit a PNG
> or perhaps a PDF and then you get it on whatever you
> want: clothes, pens, coffee cups (especially for the
> lamers that do Java), pencil boxes, fake tatoos, you
> name it.
>
> --
> underground experts united
> http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: emacs tshirts
@ 2015-09-28 23:08         ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2015-09-28 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kaushal Modi wrote:
> I wish the emacs ninja tshirt didn't have that mouse drawn on it along with
> the monitor and keyboard. Also, while I don't use vi, I respect that
> concept and wouldn't say that "I don't like it" :)

That was pretty much my thought too.  When I heard the discussion
about an emacs T-shirt I thought, "Fun! I want one."  But I don't want
to slam vi/vim.  I respect them and also want emacs to be respected.
You get what you give.  What goes around comes around.  All of that.

Bob

* Re: emacs tshirts
@ 2015-09-29  0:52         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-09-29  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> I wish the emacs ninja tshirt didn't have that mouse

Say WHAT?!

> drawn on it along with the monitor and keyboard.
> Also, while I don't use vi, I respect that concept
> and wouldn't say that "I don't like it" :)

Only the really old old-schoolers don't like vi.
Back then, they hadn't seen any of the apocalypse we
now have, so they could afford to put Emacs against
vi. Now, with all the <beep beep beep> around, we
emacsers offer our deepest respect to our colleagues
using and developing vi(m).

--

@ 2015-09-29  3:11           ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2015-09-29  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sure, I didn't mean to imply that any emacs tshirt has to slam vim. I'd
actually just like to buy a tshirt in such a way that the FSF gets the
money, instead of some 3rd party vendor. I guess FSF doesn't have any.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 7:08 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> Kaushal Modi wrote:
> > I wish the emacs ninja tshirt didn't have that mouse drawn on it along
> with
> > the monitor and keyboard. Also, while I don't use vi, I respect that
> > concept and wouldn't say that "I don't like it" :)
>
> That was pretty much my thought too.  When I heard the discussion
> about an emacs T-shirt I thought, "Fun! I want one."  But I don't want
> to slam vi/vim.  I respect them and also want emacs to be respected.
> You get what you give.  What goes around comes around.  All of that.
>
> Bob

* Re: emacs tshirts
@ 2015-09-29  6:54           ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2015-09-29  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: emacs tshirts
@ 2015-09-30  1:07             ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-09-30  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd actually just like to buy a tshirt in such a way
> that the FSF gets the money, instead of some 3rd
> party vendor. I guess FSF doesn't have any.

I once saw a FSF celebrity selling pins with a the GNU
icon and URL. I asked, "If you buy one, are you then
a true follower?" and he said "It is a way of
helping". The pin was one or two euros so I bought one
(back then I could still afford such extravagance).
I guess the movement has a rather bankrupted economy
if measures like that make a difference. Man, and to
think those 90's Linux stock shares are actually ours!

--

@ 2015-10-04 17:56 ` Mikhail Skorzhinskiy
From: Mikhail Skorzhinskiy @ 2015-10-04 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jai Dayal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs