Thanks again Paul. James On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Paul Eggert wrote: > On 03/14/13 08:45, James Jong wrote: > > Either way, and just to confirm, I presume that if I download and build > glibc and gcc in a local folder > > I could eventually compile and run Emacs with a more recent version of > gcc/glibc. > > Yes, that should work, even with your older kernel. > However, building glibc is not for the faint-hearted; > it's a process that requires expertise and is not that > well-documented (and sorry, I don't know where even > the poor documentation is -- I've never read it). > > You're right that the performance benefits of the newer > compiler are likely to be relatively small. > > For now I'm marking this bug as done. >