all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* "C-h k" reports "<keybinding> is undefined"
@ 2012-01-04 17:31 York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2012-01-04 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi there,

I have noticed this problem for awhile that for some of the key bindings "C-h k"
shows "<key binding> is undefined". For example, when I type "C-h k M-q", it
says "M-q is undefined", but I really did bind it to my own function and my
function was working because If I set breakpoint in the function where "M-q" was
being bound to and press "M-q" I was able to get into the function. The key
bindings not being shown by "C-h k" is not limited to "M-q" but a bunch of
others as well. However, there are also a number of other key bindings that can
be reported by "C-h k". I have no idea why this is happening. Can somebody tell
me with this?

Thanks,

York

* Re: "C-h k" reports "<keybinding> is undefined"
@ 2012-01-04 17:35 ` York Zhao
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: York Zhao @ 2012-01-04 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hi there,
>
> I have noticed this problem for awhile that for some of the key bindings "C-h k"
> shows "<key binding> is undefined". For example, when I type "C-h k M-q", it
> says "M-q is undefined", but I really did bind it to my own function and my
> function was working because If I set breakpoint in the function where "M-q" was
> being bound to and press "M-q" I was able to get into the function. The key
> bindings not being shown by "C-h k" is not limited to "M-q" but a bunch of
> others as well. However, there are also a number of other key bindings that can
> be reported by "C-h k". I have no idea why this is happening. Can somebody tell
> me with this?

Forgot to mention that I'm using the latest emacs from git:

commit 0ade109630e14430d3eb48c29417804130a0cbff
Author: Bastien Guerry <bastien1@free.fr>
Date:   Wed Jan 4 16:20:49 2012 +0100

    Fix trailing whitespaces in Org files.

I built it under windows using mingw.

@ 2012-01-04 17:55 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-01-04 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'York Zhao', help-gnu-emacs

> I have noticed this problem for awhile that for some of the
> key bindings "C-h k" shows "<key binding> is undefined".
> For example, when I type "C-h k M-q", it says "M-q is undefined",
> but I really did bind it to my own function and my
> function was working because If I set breakpoint in the
> function where "M-q" was being bound to and press "M-q" I was
> able to get into the function. The key bindings not being shown
> by "C-h k" is not limited to "M-q" but a bunch of
> others as well. However, there are also a number of other key
> bindings that can be reported by "C-h k". I have no idea why
> this is happening. Can somebody tell me with this?

1. This can happen because `M-q' is not in fact bound in the current context
(e.g. current buffer).  Are you sure that you are using `C-h k M-q' in the same
buffer where the command is effectively invoked whenever you hit `M-q'?

2. There could be an Emacs bug.  You are apparently using a development version,
not a released version of Emacs.  If #1 above shows that `C-h k M-q' really
should be showing a binding for your command, then consider reporting an Emacs
bug, using `M-x report-emacs-bug'.  The Emacs developers will determine whether
there really is a problem.

* Re: "C-h k" reports "<keybinding> is undefined"
@ 2012-01-04 19:55   ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2012-01-04 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> I have noticed this problem for awhile that for some of the
>> key bindings "C-h k" shows "<key binding> is undefined".
>> For example, when I type "C-h k M-q", it says "M-q is undefined",
>> but I really did bind it to my own function and my
>> function was working because If I set breakpoint in the
>> function where "M-q" was being bound to and press "M-q" I was
>> able to get into the function. The key bindings not being shown
>> by "C-h k" is not limited to "M-q" but a bunch of
>> others as well. However, there are also a number of other key
>> bindings that can be reported by "C-h k". I have no idea why
>> this is happening. Can somebody tell me with this?
>
> 1. This can happen because `M-q' is not in fact bound in the current context
> (e.g. current buffer).  Are you sure that you are using `C-h k M-q' in the same
> buffer where the command is effectively invoked whenever you hit `M-q'?

My "M-q" is a global binding, and most importantly, while "C-h k M-q" reports
undefined binding, typing "M-q" invoked my function. After all, it's not just
"M-q" that was reported undefined binding, a number of other bindings are not
being to be reported by "C-h k".

> 2. There could be an Emacs bug.  You are apparently using a development version,
> not a released version of Emacs.  If #1 above shows that `C-h k M-q' really
> should be showing a binding for your command, then consider reporting an Emacs
> bug, using `M-x report-emacs-bug'.  The Emacs developers will determine whether
> there really is a problem.

Since I have never been able to get email work in Emacs, I'm afraid I'll not be
able to report bugs inside Emacs using "M-x report-emacs-bug", is there any
other way of reporting Emacs bugs?

Thanks a lot,

@ 2012-01-04 21:09     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-01-04 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'York Zhao'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Since I have never been able to get email work in Emacs, I'm
> afraid I'll not be
> able to report bugs inside Emacs using "M-x
> report-emacs-bug", is there any
> other way of reporting Emacs bugs?

AFAIK if you have mail already configured in general (not for Emacs), then `M-x
report-emacs-bug' will prepare the mail content, subject, and destination, and
then call up your mail client.

E.g., on Windows, I use Outlook as my mail client, and `M-x report-emacs-bug'
causes Outlook to open a new message. I then hit `C-v' to paste the bug-report
content (automatically saved to the clipboard) into the message body.

Even if you do not use Emacs for mail, `M-x report-emacs-bug' can help, because
it puts you in an editing buffer where you type your bug report, and that buffer
already has a bunch of important info that can help the Emacs developers.

E.g., it shows exactly what your Emacs build is (hence which Emacs version and
which platform), and it lists a bunch of variable values that might be
pertinent.

So you can just use `M-x report-emacs-bug' to get that data, and then paste it
into an email message, if you like.  You definitely need not configure or use
Emacs for email.

* Re: "C-h k" reports "<keybinding> is undefined"
@ 2012-01-04 22:53       ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2012-01-04 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> AFAIK if you have mail already configured in general (not for Emacs), then `M-x
> report-emacs-bug' will prepare the mail content, subject, and destination, and
> then call up your mail client.
>
> E.g., on Windows, I use Outlook as my mail client, and `M-x report-emacs-bug'
> causes Outlook to open a new message. I then hit `C-v' to paste the bug-report
> content (automatically saved to the clipboard) into the message body.
>
> Even if you do not use Emacs for mail, `M-x report-emacs-bug' can help, because
> it puts you in an editing buffer where you type your bug report, and that buffer
> already has a bunch of important info that can help the Emacs developers.
>
> E.g., it shows exactly what your Emacs build is (hence which Emacs version and
> which platform), and it lists a bunch of variable values that might be
> pertinent.
>
> So you can just use `M-x report-emacs-bug' to get that data, and then paste it
> into an email message, if you like.  You definitely need not configure or use
> Emacs for email.

Thank you very much for the help, I have already sent the bug report by copy and
paste, exactly as what you suggested. And I have received an acknowledge from
the list. Hopefully somebody will take care of this soon.

@ 2012-01-05 19:07 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-01-05 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> writes:

Hi York,

> For example, when I type "C-h k M-q", it says "M-q is undefined", but
> I really did bind it to my own function and my function was working
> because If I set breakpoint in the function where "M-q" was being
> bound to and press "M-q" I was able to get into the function.

Could you please show the code that establishes the binding?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: "C-h k" reports "<keybinding> is undefined"
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-05 19:30 ` Michael Markert
From: Michael Markert @ 2012-01-05 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: York Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On  4 Jan 2012, York Zhao wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have noticed this problem for awhile that for some of the key
> bindings "C-h k" shows "<key binding> is undefined". For example, when
> I type "C-h k M-q", it says "M-q is undefined", but I really did bind
> it to my own function and my function was working because If I set
> breakpoint in the function where "M-q" was being bound to and press
> "M-q" I was able to get into the function. The key bindings not being
> shown by "C-h k" is not limited to "M-q" but a bunch of others as
> well. However, there are also a number of other key bindings that can
> be reported by "C-h k". I have no idea why this is happening. Can
> somebody tell me with this?

Hi York,

I assume you're still using Evil.

It's (unfortunately) a long standing bug[1] that affects mostly
(exclusively?) the M-* bindings in non-emacs states and that has
probably been forgotten because it never went to the issue tracker.

Please be so kind and file it if you have time.

Michael

Footnotes:

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.vim-emulation/1113

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: "C-h k" reports "<keybinding> is undefined"
@ 2012-01-05 20:26   ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2012-01-05 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Markert; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Hi York,
>
> I assume you're still using Evil.
>
> It's (unfortunately) a long standing bug[1] that affects mostly
> (exclusively?) the M-* bindings in non-emacs states and that has
> probably been forgotten because it never went to the issue tracker.
>
> Please be so kind and file it if you have time.
>
> Michael
>
> Footnotes:
>
> [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.vim-emulation/1113

Hi Mike,

Haven't seen you for a long time, how's everything? I'm still using Evil and
loving it, what about you?

Thank you very much for pointed out this to be an issue in Evil and I have
posted to the Evil issue tracker just now.

https://bitbucket.org/lyro/evil/issue/63/c-h-k-reports-is-undefined

To the list:

I apologize for having reported a bug which may have nothing to do with Emacs.

@ 2012-01-05 20:31   ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2012-01-05 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Could you please show the code that establishes the binding?

Hi Tassilo,

Thank you for the response and as Mike just pointed out this seems to be a
problem with Evil package. But anyways here's my code that binds the key.

(global-set-key (kbd "M-q") 'fill-paragraph-or-region)

@ 2012-01-05 20:47     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-01-05 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: York Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> writes:

>> Could you please show the code that establishes the binding?
>
> Thank you for the response and as Mike just pointed out this seems to
> be a problem with Evil package.

Ah, ok.

> But anyways here's my code that binds the key.
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "M-q") 'fill-paragraph-or-region)

Well, that's clearly correct.

Bye,
Tassilo