all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Jeff Weiss <jeffrey.m.weiss@gmail.com>
To: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: migrating from ido to icicles
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:41:22 -0500	[thread overview]

Ok, so I've tried all the combinations of both the incremental completion,
and common-match. I'm still totally confused by the behavior.  I think
maybe there is a bug somewhere or I'm not understanding something
fundamental.

What I want is:  Only fill in stuff on the minibuffer (the common match)
when I press tab.  Also, update the completions buffer as I type.

I cannot get this behavior.  It appears that the "1" setting for common
match simply doesn't work.  It's supposed to only expand to the common
match when I press TAB or S-TAB, but actually it just does nothing.
 Pressing TAB or S-TAB with this setting never does any expanding of the
common match.  If I change it to "3", then it will expand but it will do it
without pressing TAB (which I don't want, I end up with mixed up
gobbledygook that way because I am still typing when it's expanding).

So now I turn off incremental completion.  Then the common match TAB key
behavior works as described when set to "1".

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Thanks for your help.

-Jeff